The most interesting thing is the monastery placed at Mount Ostrog.
You can take a bus to Nikšić, they run from Podgorica or from Budva via Podgorica. Tell the driver you are going to the Ostrog Monastery, he will stop in the correct place. From there, you can take a cab for around €10, you can bargain, or hike. It is 8 km of a beautiful walk. It is not difficult as there is a car road, but not recommended when it is very warm. The final part of the way are stone stairs.
The monastery is not far from the rail line that links Podgorica with Nikšić.
Trains are rather infrequent (5 per day, each way) so you should plan accordingly by talking into account the walking time between the station and the monastery. Official timetable is found here. Train ticket from Podgorica is 1,80 €.
Get off at Ostrog station (about 45 minutes from Podgorica) and follow the path that crosses the rail line 200 meters away. From there take a left and follow the hiking path with signs "Ostrog" or "ОСТРОГ". The hike is 2 kms to the base monastery and main car park, and 3.5 kms to the cliff monastery. The hike up is pretty steep but manageable, the path goes through a beautiful forest with plenty of shade.
You won't be able to buy a ticket back at Ostrog station but the train conductor will sell you one on board.
Eating options are few, but surprisingly good.
- Kolibe (in the town of Bogetici near the bottom of the mountain), ☏ . Serves tasty Montenegrin dishes in a scenic restaurant overlooking the valley; accommodation is available too.
- Kafe Restoran Sv Petka Ostrog (in the immediate area of the monastery, hemmed in between shops selling religious nicknacks). It has traditional food, salads, and burgers
- Restoran Tvrdos (in the immediate area of the monastery, hemmed in between shops selling religious nicknacks). Offers diners a pleasant outdoor seating area and grilled dishes.
- Ostrog Monastery's guest house, Bogetići bb, 81400 Niksic, ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com. The monastery has clean single-sex dorms (29 rooms with 210 beds in total). €5 per person.
- Kolibe (in the town of Bogetici near the bottom of the mountain), ☏ . The motel consists of bungalows i.e. apartments and rooms. There are 5 bungalows and eight rooms. The bungalows were built of wood. They are equipped with: air-conditioner, mini bar, internet, SAT TV. Two bungalows have four beds and three are with five beds. Two triple rooms and six twin rooms are situated above the restaurant. They are equipped with air conditioner and SAT TV. The bathrooms are not in the rooms, but separated in the hall. Also, automobile race, cycling are organized near the motel.