Mt. Washington is an alpine resort located outside Courtenay in Central Vancouver Island, with skiing (downhill and cross country), snowboarding, and tubing in the winter and a number of hiking and mountain biking trails in the summer.
The largest commercial ski area on Vancouver Island. Skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, snow tubing, snow shoeing, sledding. Summer attractions such as mountain bike riding and hiking.
From downtown Courtenay, take Cliffe Ave north to 1st St. and then turn right on 1st St. Take the next left onto Condensory Rd (Anderton Ave). Follow Condensory Rd to Piercy Rd. Turn left onto Piercy Rd and follow this to Hwy #19. Turn right onto Hwy #19. Turn left at the lights (Exit #130) and follow Strathcona Parkway up the mountain for 18 km. It is at the end of Strathcona Parkway).
See and do
(December to April, depending on the snow)
Mount Washington receives 11 metres of annual snowfall. The resort is acknowledged as the home of Canada's deepest pile.
- Alpine skiing: 81 runs (14% beginner, 35% intermediate, 36% advanced, 15% expert, 5 lifts and 4 Magic Carpets including a high-speed six-pack and a high-speed quad.
- Cross-country skiing: Over 55 km (34 miles) of world-class machine-groomed cross-country trails in the resort and through scenic park lands.
- Snowshoeing in Mount Washington’s snow-frosted forests.
- The Tube Park offers a fun alternative to skiing or snowboarding and is also a great apres activity.
In summer, the mountain and surrounding resort community are a major destination for hikers and summer alpine enthusiasts.
Buy, eat and drink
- Raven Centre: rentals, shopping, food and beverages
- Raven Lodge: restaurant, cross-country ski rentals, lessons, and sport shop.
The Raven Lodge’s popular evening Snowshoe Fondue sells out, so book the fondue in advance.
- Alpine Village, ☏ , toll-free: . The resort has a lot of on-mountain accommodation in the Alpine Village.
Accommodation prices (Apr 2018) per night, plus 12% tax:
- Lodge rooms with queen bed $134
- One-bedroom apartment $164
- Two-bedroom apartment $204
- Three-bedroom apartment $244