Mugello is a historic region and valley in northern Tuscany, in Italy, following the course of the River Sieve.
- San Godenzo
Mugello is “the green heart of Tuscany”, birthplace of Giotto and Medici family, and of the Florentine Reinassance. It has castles and medieval villages, such as Scarperia and Vicchio, two towns which still follow the traditions when it comes to local gastronomy.
The Mugello valley was settled by a Ligurian tribe known as the Magelli, after whom it was named. Then the region was occupied by the Etruscans who have left many archeological traces and who built the first road network of the Mugello.
The subsequent Ancient Roman conquest and colonization of the Mugello region dates back to the 4th century BCE. Tombs, coins, and walls have been found.
In the Middle Ages the Mugello was home to numerous castles. The Mugello region was later acquired by the Republic of Florence. Several patrician families of the area built villas here, such as those of the Medici including Villa Medicea di Cafaggiolo and Villa Medicea del Trebbio.
In 1999 a dam was constructed across the Sieve river, forming the reservoir of Lake Bilancino in the Mugello valley.
The Mugello Circuit (Autodromo Internazionale del Mugello) is an automobile race track that hosts an annual Grand Prix motorcycle racing event.
Fly above Mugello with a glider, taking off from Aeroclub Volovelistico del Mugello. All year round, open on week-ends only, you can try the real emotion of silent flying without engine seeking soaring thermals above the Appennine mountains, on board of two-seats gliders with a professional pilot. The airdrome is in Figliano, 3 km north of Borgo San Lorenzo, and 800 m east of Mugello International Circuit.
- Monsignor della Casa (Mugello hotels), Via di Mucciano 7 - 50032 Borgo San Lorenzo (FI), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Monsignor della Casa is a country resort 5 minutes away form Mugello racetrack. Hotel rooms, villas with pool, apartments: Monsignor della Casa offers many kind of comfortable accommodation and a wide variety of asport and activities.
- Gaia Guest House (Mugello hotels), Rabatta, 43 - 50032 Borgo San Lorenzo (FI), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 1 Villa Montazzi (40 min drive to Florence), Via Sagginalese, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 18th-century villa with lots of space: 6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 4 living-rooms, library, diningroom and kitchen. Views of the hills and the Apennines in the distance. Large Italian garden surrounding the property. Antique furniture, billiards, table-tennis, above ground swimming pool. €1700/week.
- Hotel Paterno, Via di Paterno 2393, ☏ . Family run, surrounded by greenery. Private parking, privacy.
- Nearby Mugello is Marradi.