Munster was designated as a town in 1907. Settled and established in 1845 by the Brass family when they built a two-story inn and tavern, Munster became very popular soon after in 1853 as a place for truck farms because of the growing market in the near-by Chicago. Munster began to grow as a community and grew in skilled worker men such as oil men, steel workers, and businessmen from the city.
Today Munster is a quiet town that is in the midst of continual growth. The town is excellent at planning and has developed an award winning school system. Despite growing larger and larger everyday, Munster has a small-town friendly demeanor and one is always welcomed with a genuine interest.
- Lansing Municipal Airport, 18200 Chicago Ave, Lansing, Illinois
- Midway International Airport, 5600 S Cicero Ave, Chicago, Illinois
- O'Hare International Airport, tel: +1 773-686-3700, email: aviation@Ohare.com
- Gary Chicago International Airport, 6001 W. Industrial Highway, Gary, Indiana, tel: +1 219-949-9722, +1 219-949-4925; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tri State Coach/United Limo, 2101 West 37th Ave., Gary, email: email@example.com, tel: +1 574-254-5000 or +1 800-248-8747 (toll free)
It is best to get around by car, but there are taxi services available.
- Classic Taxi, 862 Kennedy Ave., Schererville, Indiana. Tel: +1 219-322-8758. Accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discovery, and American Express.
- Centennial Park, 1005 Ridge Road. Complete with golf course, restaurant, clubhouse, lake, and bench swings with amazing views of the Chicago Skyline.
- Community Veterans' Memorial, 9710 Calumet Ave. dawn until dusk. Meant to evoke serious emotions with an underlying intention to educate the public about peace and the major wars that shaped the 21st century. 6.5 acres (2.6 hectares) tribute with a lake, fountain, and a path meant to stroll along with or without a guided tour. Free.
- Centennial Park, 1005 Ridge Road. There is a 9-hole golf course that is supposedly one of the best in the surrounding area. Recently developed on the old landfill the new golf course is complete with a driving range and a beautiful pro-shop.
- The Center for the Visual and Performing Arts, 1040 Ridge Road. Many times there are excellent plays offered here. There are plays offered year round in the 416-person theatre, there are also concerts offered.
- Munster Gyros, 8307 Calumet Ave, ☏ . Small Greek restaurant known for their gyros platter.
- The Commander Restaurant, 745 Ridge Road, ☏ .
- Schoops, 215 Ridge Road, ☏ . Homemade hamburger joint
- Frozen Yogurt Express (Fro-yo), 8313 Calumet Ave, ☏ .
- Giovanni's Restaurant, 603 Ridge Road, ☏ .
- Cafe Borgia, 10018 Calumet Ave, ☏ , ✉ CB@CafeBorgia.com. Daily 11AM-11PM.
- Charlie's Ale House. M-Th 11:30AM-1AM, F 11:30AM-2AM, Sa 11AM-2AM, Su 11AM-1AM. Sa Su brunch till 2:30PM.
- Starbucks, 8005 Calumet Ave, ☏ .
- Butterfingers, 921 Ridge Road, ☏ . For pastry and coffee.
- Munster Donuts, 8314 Calumet Ave, ☏ . Famous for their homemade donuts.
- Hampton Inn and Suites, 8936 Calumet Ave, ☏ .
Town Hall 1005 Ridge Road, tel: +1 219-836-6900
Use Tristate Highway I80 to 294; remember the spilt past Terrence Ave for 80/94 up through Chicago.