Mytilene (Μυτιλήνη; also written Mitilini) is the main port and capital of Lesvos.
Mytilene is an early Greek city, probably inhabited since the 10th century BC. Ancient Mytilene was an islet, just to the east off the coast of Lesvos, where now the medieval castle stands, separated from the larger island by the channel of Euripus, which connected the north harbour (also called the "old harbour") and the south harbour (now called the "new harbour"). The channel was later filled, thereby joining the islet to the larger island. The south harbour is the main harbour, protected by a long pier; it has an outer part containing the marina and commercial port on one side and the ferry port at the other side, with in between an almost circular small inner harbour whose waterfront is formed by P. Kountouriotou street (Π. Κουντουριώτου).
Mytilene is not very large (about 30,000 inhabitants) and lies partly on a flat ground although the western side of town is on a hill that rises to the ancient theatre; a good way to explore the city is by walking. Rent a car from Economy car hires, P. kountouriotou 87 Mytilene, tel:+302251037875. Hire a car from Lesvos rent a car, kountouriotou 87 Mytilene, tel:+302251037337
Information can be obtained from the municipal Tourist Information Office, Sappho Square (also known as Sapfous Square, at the north side – the middle section – of the inner harbour), ☏ .
- The medieval (Genovese) castle.
- The "old" Archaeological Museum, located at Argiri Eftalioti street 7, close to the statue of liberty at the main harbour. (The museum is temporarily closed but the New Museum a short distance away up the hill is open.) Open 08:30–15:30, closed Mondays.
- Just walk around and enjoy the architecture, combining many styles from different periods. There are even Byzantine and Ottoman archaeological remnants around the medieval castle and elsewhere.
- Don't miss the Agora (center market place). The New Archaeological Museum presents a fine collection of sculpture, pottery and mosaic panels; most of it is labeled in English as well as Greek. The church operates a small but well organized Byzantine museum across from the fine baroque church of Hagios Therapon, a local saint.
Several taverns can be found on the pedestrian-only pier at the far south side of the inner south harbour (as it were the continuation of Kountouriotou street lining the inner harbour, officially called Christouyennon 1944 street). Another row of taverns is found at the north harbour, lining the stretch of Navmachios Ellis boulevard between Ermou and Mikras Asias streets.
- Φανάρι (Fanari) (the second restaurant as you enter the pier), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A fish tavern offering traditional Greek cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere. An excellent and inexpensive taverna near the North Harbour at the end of Ermou Street is Castro; George, the owner, is a talented magician as well as a pleasant host and speaks some English. A cheap fast food outlet on the main harbour front is Goody's (the Greek equivalent of Macdonald's but better).
- Art-LesvosVillas, Pyrgi thermis Mitilini Lesvos, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Art-Lesvos Villas, a brand new complex, (a 7-minute drive from the centre of Mytilene and its airport), was completed in 2010 and consists of 4 two -storey and 4 single -storey traditional luxury houses, each designed to accommodate 2-6 persons. The location is ideal and unique for one who wishes to travel around the island of Lesvos as well as the city of Mytilene . Built amphitheatrically across an area of 2.5 acres overlooking "Kanoni", the only golden sandy beach of Mytilene, (3 min walking distance),it is a reference point for the whole region of Thermi Towers, as well as a special tourist unit for the entire island of Lesbos. All the houses are detached with their own private garden, offering the privacy of a retreat .This makes the villas an ideal "homely" place both for individual guests and for families. Each villa has a unique exterior architectural design, but all together they constitute a coherent whole resembling a miniature of a small picturesque village . Two of the 2-storey traditional houses THEOFILOS and THEOFRASTOS ,stand out for their bay windows and stone walls. The other two 2-storey houses ALKAIOS and ARION , bear the traditional features of imposing old mansions.The four singles-storey suites SAPPHO, LASSIA, MITHYMNA & IMERTI are defined by the large stone chimneys of their fireplaces.