Jump to navigation Jump to search
Nakhchivan is the capital of the Nakhchivan Exclave of Azerbaijan, a.k.a, the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic.
- 1 Nakhchivan International Airport (NAJ IATA). Flights from Baku, Ganja, Istanbul and Moscow-Vnukovo
- 1 Momine Khatun Mausoleum. A tall octagonal tomb tower from the 12th century with kufic Arabic calligraphy and ceramic design. Free.
- Open Air Museum. A collection of ancient stone artifacts and statues in a park, directly beside Momine Khatun Mausoleum. Free.
- Qizlar Bulagi (near momune khatun).
- Heydar Aliyev Museum. A museum dedicated to the first president of Azerbaijan, who was born in Nakhchivan.
- Palace of the Khans. A palace in the same park as the Momine Khatun Mausoleum with a small museum inside. The building and gardens themselves are beautiful but many of the exhibits are only in Azeri.
- Flag Pole (Bayraq Muzeyi). A tall flag pole on a hill on the northern edge of Nakhchivan city with impressive views of the skyline, the Aras River and Mount Ararat. Also a museum inside. Impressive in the evenings as the park lights up. Across the road outside the bus station is a mosaic from Soviet days.
- Nakhchivan Castle and History Museum. An over-restored castle in the south of the city that looks a bit Disney-esque but offers impressive views of the city and surroundings from the walls. The staff can give a free tour of the history museum in the centre of the complex. Free.
- 2 Noah's Tomb. Directly beside the Nakhchivan Castle. The supposed tomb of the prophet Noah (although Palestine and Jordan would disagree). A beautifully built octagonal tower that stands out against the vast plains of Nakhchivan behind. The staff can give a tour of the small museum inside. Free.
- Carpet Museum.
- Hotel Sahin, Nizami street.
- Hotel Tabriz, Azadliq avenue (near the old baths), ☏ , fax: . 5-star hotel in central location. Double room for 140 manat per night. Restaurant on the top floor has impressive views over the city and surroundings.
- Hotel Tehran.
- Hotel Togrud (4 km southeast of the centre).
- Hotel Ukraina (2 km southeast of the centre), ☏ , fax: .
- Otel Avtovagzal (at the bus terminal), ☏ . Check-out: 12:00. It is probably the cheapest hotel in town and a good location if you plan on moving on the next day to either Turkey or Iran. Not much English spoken there, but they are nice and helpful. 25 manat without breakfast, 35 manat with breakfast.