Nakhodka Bay was discovered in 1859 by a Russian corvette seeking shelter during a storm. The name is best translated as "lucky find". A small fishing village was founded in 1907, and got city rights in 1950. Unlike Vladivostok, Nakhodka was never a closed city, and the city's economy suffered a downturn when the biggest city was opened to foreign trade. Russia designated the city a "free economic zone," a variation on China's very successful Special Economic Zones, which could attract large-scale foreign investment. It is location of the port Vostochniy, the largest port in Russian Far East, and an oil-terminal for Sakhalin projects.
Direct trains come from Khabarovsk every other day in cold season. In hot season they arrive daily. Don't be confused if the destination in your ticket would be read as 'Tikho'okeanskaya' (Тихоокеанская, "Pacific Ocean's") because it's 1 the main railway station. The station 'Nakhodka' is up north and serves commuter purposes mostly.
Elektrichkas bound for Vladivostok and Partizansk depart 3 times a day: in the morning, at midday and in the evening.
Public buses leave Artyom's bus stop, at the right hand of the airport square.
The 2 bus station (Avtovokzal) is in the city's center, near the railway station Barkhatnaya (Бархатная).
Taking a bus to the capital Vladivostok is possible every 40 min and the time of travel lasts 4 hours. Bus #601 (Nakhodka-Ussuriysk) with a stop in Artyom goes three times a day.
The city spreads along the harbor for more than 40 km. The central street is Nakhodkinskii Prospekt, along the shoreline.
Common public transport in Nakhodka is taxi and public buses. Taxi usually charge for a period of time: 15 min, 30 min, 1 hour (200 руб).
- 1 Nakhodka Museum and Expo Center (Находка Музейно-Выставочный центр), 6, Vladivostokskaya St, ☏ . The museum has two exhibition rooms, a children's museum, a "museum on rollers", an art salon, and a music hall.
- 2 Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan (Собор Казанской Иконы Божией Матери), Nakhodinskii Prospekt 33, ☏ . Reportedly, a silent and pleasant atmosphere of spiritual vibes.
- 3 Stone of Friendship monument (Памятник Камень Дружбы), Nakhodinskii Prospekt. Beautiful view of the bay and the cathedral; the monument itself is unkempt and derelict. Free.
- 4 Sorrowful Mother memorial (Скорбящая мать). A sculpted memorial with great city views and few people. Reportedly, the area is unkempt, with garbage and rubbish all around. Free.
- 1 Burevestnik (Буревестник), Nakhodinskii Prospekt, 12, ☏ . Movie theater.
- 2 Forest Beach (Пляж Лесная). A wild, spacious beach, with sandy and rocky spots, and clean water. Free.
- 1 House of Books (Книжный дом), Ulitsa Gagarina 8, ☏ . Book store, very well-reviewed by the locals.
- 1 Pizza Prosto, Prospekt Mira 65/1, ☏ . Good pizza, good coffee and free WiFi.
- 2 Tokio Sushi Bar, Prospekt Mira 2, ☏ . Good reviews from the locals.
- 3 Zell, Ulitsa Postysheva, 14а, ☏ . Korean cuisine restaurant.
- Dolina Lubvi (Долина любви), 51, Nakhodkinskii Prospekt, ☏ . Night club.
- Chamelion (Хамелеон), 2a, Sportivnaya St, ☏ . Night club.
- Imperia (Империя), 22, Leninskaya st, ☏ . Night club.
Nakhodka is amongst the most frequented cities in Russian Far East and there is over 40 hotels and more is under construction. You can pick a hotel in the city or get out to rest at the numerous bases along the sea.
- 1 Syuan Yuan Hotel (Сюань Юань), 32, Malinovskogo St (at the 'Chinese Wall' close to the bus station), ☏ . A hotel in Chinese-style.
- 2 Pyramid Hotel (Пирамид-Отель), 2, Vladivostokskaya St (close to the museum), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Check-out: 12:00. US$70-154.
- 3 Hotel Gorizont (Горизонт), 1, Sportivnaya St, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The most luxurious hotel in the city.
- 4 Hotel Rent (Рент), 27, Pogranichnaya St, ☏ , fax: .
- 5 Hotel Nadezhda (Надежда), 3, Administrativny gorodok, ☏ .
- 6 Bumerang Hotel (Бумеранг), 44a, Nakhodkinskii Prospekt, ☏ .
- Lisiy Island.
- Brother and Sister Hills.