At the start of World War 2 Namsos was Norway's Dunkirk. After a failed campaign against the invading German forces, Several thousand British and French troops were stranded on the shore in and around Namsos. Lord Mountbatten lead a small fleet that in a daring operation evacuated the exhausted troops from the devastated town.
Namsos has produced some great musicians. Among the best known is Åge Aleksandersen, often referred to as Norway's Bruce Springsteen. Rock singer Terje Tysland and the band D.D.E. have also achieved national fame in Norway.
1 Namsos Airport (OSY IATA), Høknesøra, ☎ . Widerøe operates flights from Trondheim (M–F Su: twice a day, Sa: once, from kr 469, 30 min), Rørvik (M–F: three times a day, Sa: once, Su: twice, from kr 449, 15 min), Mosjøen (M–Sa: once a day, from kr 489, 35 min) and Bodø (M–Sa: once a day, from kr 559, 1 hr 30 min).
- Route E6 then 17 via Steinkjer (1 hr 15 min, 75 km) from Trondheim (3 hr, 200 km).
- Route 80, E6 and eventually 17 via Mo i Rana (5 hr, 330 km) from Bodø (8 hr, 550 km).
- Route 770 then 769 from Rørvik (2 hr, 90 km). The ferry Hofles - Lund is on the way (kr 113 for a car, 20 min). Very beautiful route between Lund and Namsos, highly recommended.
- Route 770 then 17 via Kolvereid (2 hr 15 min, 140 km) from Rørvik (2 hr 30 min, 160 km).
- 1 [dead link] Rock City, Sverres Gate 37, ☎ . M–F 11:00–21:00, Sa 14:00–18:00, Su 14:00–21:00. A center for rock and pop music, established by parliament. The building also houses the tourist office. Adults: kr 100, Children: kr 50.
- 2 Norsk Sagbruksmuseum (Norwegian Sawmill Museum), Linbergvegen 16, Spillum (in Spillum, across the river), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M–F 09:00–15:00. Tells the history about the Norwegian sawmill industry. This was, around the start of the 19th century, one of Norway’s largest industries with several hundred steam powered sawmills, one of which is the base for this museum. The mill is still occasionally used today to produce high quality replicas for restoration projects. Also at the museum is the M/B "Hauka", a 1934 ship used for towing logs to the mill in summer, and icebreaking in the winter.
- 3 Namdalsmuseet (Namdal Museum), Kjærlighetsstien 1, ☎ . Tu–S 12:00–16:00. Cultural history of the area. Guided tours every hour. Adults: kr 50, Children: free.
- 4 Klompen (Bjørumsklompen) (From the church, follow Kirkegata street all the way to the top of the hill). Walk to this 114 m (374 ft) high viewpoint overlooking the whole town. It's an easy 20 min walk from the church but you can also drive to the top. Free.
- 5 Kunstmuseet Nord-Trøndelag (Art museum), Stasjonsgata 3, ☎ . Tu–Th 11:00–16:00, F 11:00–15:30, Sa–Su 11:00–14:00.
- 6 Namsos Kirke (Namsos Church), Abel Meyers gate 10 (in the town centre). This large, rectangular, brick church, designed by architect Ola B. Aasness and seating about 622 people, was built in 1960 to replace the previous one, which was bombed and burned during World War II. It also has a free-standing bell tower, on the south side of the main building. Free.
- Trolley ride. Cycle with a trolley the old abandoned railway for 13 km (8 mi) from Namsos Camping to Skage. Contact the camping for more information.
- 1 Tinos Hotell, Verftsgata 5, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- 2 Rica Rock City Hotel, Sverres gate 35, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Børstad Hotel, Carl Gulbransons gate 19, ☎ .
- 4 Namsos Camping, Flyplassveien 10, ☎ . Tent: kr 200-250, Cabin: kr 475-1050.
- 1 Namsos library (Namsos bibliotek), Stasjonsgata 3, ☎ . M–W 11:00–17:00, Th 11:00–19:00, F 11:00–15:30, Sa 11:00–14:00. Free usage of computers. Printing is also available for a small fee.