Nevşehir is a city in Cappadocia.
Nevşehir is one of the major cities in Cappadoccia Region, which displays a beautiful combination of nature and history.
Since the war in Afghanistan, many Afghan refugees have settled in Nevşehir.
- Tourist Information office, Ataturk Bulvarı, ☏ .
- 1 Nevşehir bus station (on the extension of Lale Caddesi, Gülşehir Caddesi at the eastern outskirts of the city, 5 km from the center). There are direct connections to Adana, Alanya (1 night bus, 90-110 TL), Antalya, Ankara, Kayseri, Konya, Mersin, Istanbul, Izmir and Pamukkale.
- 2 Urban Bus Exchange (Urban Dolmus) (at Saatci Hoca Caddesi). For all connections to nearby towns and important places in Cappadocia like Avanos, Göreme, Kaymakli and Derinkuyu (underground cities), Urgup and Nigde.
- Ankara – Coach operator Nevtur has buses running every 2 hr from the main bus terminal Isletmesi Sehirlerarasi to Nevşehir and vice versa. The trip takes 4 hr including a break of 30 min and costs 20 TL.
- Nevşehir Seyahat runs buses 6 times a day from Ankara to Nevşehir (departure from Ankara at 01:30, 09:00, 11:00, 13:00, 15:00 and 18:30, travel time: 4½ hr) and 2 buses per day from Istanbul to Nevşehir at 20:00 and 20:30, taking 11½ hr.
- To Kaymakli (5 TL) and Derinkuyu: 07:35, 08:15, 09:00, 09:30 10, 10:30, 11:00, 11:30, 12:00, 12:30, 13:00, 13:30, 14:00, 14:30, 15:00, 15:30, 16:00, 16:30, 17:00, 17:30, 18:00, 18:30, 19:15, and 20:15. Since Kaymakli is on the way from Derinkuyu and Nigde, on the way back buses go pretty much every 15 min to Nevşehir, 07:00-20:10.
- To Nigde: 07:35, 08:15, 09:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00, and 18:00.
- 75 km (1 hr) from Aksaray
- 140 km (2 hr 15 min) from Aladaglar National Park
- 17 km (20 min) from Avanos
- 30 Km (40 min) from Derinkuyu
- 10 km (15 min) from Göreme
- 95 km (1 hr 45 min) from Guzelyurt
- 110 km (2 hr) from Ihlara Valley
- 20 km (25 min) from Kaymakli
- 100 km (1½ hr) from Kayseri
- 90 km (1½ hr) from Kirsehir
- 75 km (1 hr 25 min) from Nigde
- 8 km (10 min) from Uchisar
- 23 km (25 min) from Urgup
- 3 [dead link] Nevşehir Kapadokya Airport (NAV IATA) (30 km from the city center. Reaching the airport is possible via buses, shared taxis and commercial taxis.), ☏ .
- Turkish airlines has flights from Istanbul on W, Th, F and Su evening, and flights to Istanbul on Th, F, Sa and M morning. Flight time is 1 hr 15 min.
The nearest railway station is located in Kayseri. The railway line runs from Ankara to Kayseri and then splits into a line towards Sivas in the east and towards Nigde, Karaman and Adana in the south. Express trains take about 7 hours from Ankara to Kayseri. The Erzurum Express (Erzurum Ekspresi) departs in the early afternoon from Ankara and comes in the evening to Kayseri, the Güney Express (Güney Ekspresi) leaves early in the morning from Ankara and comes in the afternoon to Kayseri. The Çukurova Mavi Tren and Dogu Ekspresi go in the evening from Ankara and come in the middle of the night to Kayseri.
Nevşehir is quite small and can be explored on foot.
Tourist Information office and the Museum is located on Ataturk Bulvarı. Lale Caddesi crosses Atatürk Bulvarı. Following this line in a southern direction from the old town, Damat İbrahim Paşa Külliyesi and citadel can be found.
- Ruins of the Ottoman citadel. It comes from Seljuk period and provides a good overview of the city. Free entry.
- Damat İbrahim Paşa complex. It was built in 1727 by the eponymous Grand Vizier. The complex constitutes library, 18th century Kursunlu mosque and hammam.
- 1 Nevşehir Museum, 1, Turbe Sok., ☏ . Depicts archeological, historic and ethnographic life of the region. Free admission.
- Sauna - Try one of the affordable Hamams (turkish baths) of Nevşehir, for a real authentic non-tourist experience. There is one near the main intersection, next to the stop of the minibuses to Goreme. Prices 15 TL for Sauna, 25 TL for sauna + scrub and foam massage.
- Hotel Altınöz, Ragip Uner Cad. No:23, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. double room €65.
- Hotel Şems, Atatürk Bulvarı. No:29, ☏ . double room €25.
- Göreme and Urgup are two lively tourist centers. There are cave dwellings, and rock cones in and around these cities.
- Avanos, on the banks of Kizilirmak river, and Ortahisar are less visited towns.
- Superb views of the Cappadocia valley can be seen from the castle located in Uchisar.
- Also there are underground cities used by Christians hiding from enemies. There were rooms for grain storage, sleeping chambers, kitchens and ventilation shafts. Underground cities of Kaymakli and Derinkuyu are the two most important. There are also two others named Mazi and Ozkaynak.