New Paltz is exit 18 on the New York State Thruway which is also designated as Interstate 87.
There is frequent bus service between The Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City and New Paltz with connections to many other villages and cities.
Stewart International Airport is the nearest major airport to New Paltz. It is in Newburgh, thirty minutes to the south (exit 17 on the NYS Thruway).
The Wallkill Valley Rail Trail is on the bed of the Wallkill Valley Rail transport, the former main transportation link for New Paltz.
Rail Travel to New York City: Nearby Poughkeepsie is the end of the line for Metro-North Rail. Poughkeepsie is a 15-20 minute drive east of New Paltz. Taxis are available in Poughkeepsie to transport travelers to and from New Paltz. Riding on Metro-North out of the Poughkeepsie Station is clean, safe and reliable. Trains run from very early in the morning until late into the evening. Fares can run as low as $12.75 each way.
As of 2008 there is a bus you can take that picks you up at the Poughkeepsie train station and stops in New Paltz. It is run by the Ulster County Area Transit. View the bus schedule here: Bus schedule (pdf format)  [formerly dead link]
Walk or drive. There are also buses run by Ulster County Transit.
- 1 Huguenot Street. Oldest street in America, excluding the Spanish-constructed streets of St. Augustine, with its original houses.
- Mohonk Mountain House. National Historic Site.
- 2 State University of New York at New Paltz.
- Climb rocks, On Shawangunk Ridge.
- Hike, at Sky Top, Breakneck Ridge, Wallkill Valley Rail Trail, Eagle Cliff and Mohonk Lake Trail, or one of the other nearby trails.
- Go wine tasting, at Robibero Family Vineyards, Adair Vineyards, Rivendell Winery, Whitecliff Vineyard & Winery, or one of the other nearby wineries/vineyards. Whitecliff, in rural Gardiner to the south of New Paltz, is in a pretty location and makes interesting wines. Tastings, at $10-14, are not expensive, and many of their wines sell for $20 or less.
- Skydive, at Skydive the Ranch in Gardiner (just a few minutes outside New Paltz).
- Window shop, through the town.
- KonTiki Trading Post of New Paltz, 70 Main Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Same original store with new owners and new merchandise. Kid, dog, and tourist friendly.
- Gilded Otter, 3 Main Street, ☏ .
- Bacchus, 4 South Chestnut Street, ☏ .
- P&G's, 91 Main Street, ☏ .
- McGillicuddy's, 84 Main Street, ☏ . Both decent, cheap, good portions, pub food. Lots of burgers, chicken, and other fried things.
- Main Street Bistro, 59 Main Street, ☏ . Delicious and a bargain. Breakfast and lunch, everything is cheap and good. A lot of interesting, uncommon combinations.
- Karma Road, 11 Main Street, ☏ . Very vegan friendly.
- Food Not Bombs, Main Street. W 5-8PM. Every Wednesday inside of Snugs Harbor bar in poor weather (38 Main St.) and outside across from Wells Fargo set up on the wall/grass.
- Bacchus, 4 South Chestnut Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, ☏ . Has over 300 beers and really good food. Slightly expensive and with a late night menu and pool.
- P&G's, 91 Main Street, ☏ . College bar. Dance floor. Loud music.
- McGillicuddy's, 84 Main Street, ☏ . College bar. Dance floor. Loud music.
- Snug Harbor Bar and Grill, 38 Main Street, New Paltz NY 12561, . Townie dive bar, live music 3x per week, pool table, host for food not bombs in winter, open noon-4AM every day
Cozy beds and breakfasts. Youth hostel next to bus station on Main street.
- New Paltz Hostel, 145 Main Street, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 10AM. The New Paltz Hostel has a home-like feeling and a laid-back, comfortable atmosphere. Has a full functioning kitchen with communal food available to guests. Provides bunk bed style rooms (a men's room and a women's room) and private rooms are also available. Includes all bed linens, towels, blankets, shampoo and communal food. 30.
- 1 Mohonk Mountain House, 1000 Mountain Rest Rd, ☏ . On the west side of the river. $250-600 per night, this fabulous getaway is a destination in itself. It features theme programs for each month, has an on-site massage center and 9-hole golf course and is a favorite for weddings, corporate events and family reunions. Adjacent Mohonk Preserve is open for hiking and nature walks. The Mohonk Mountain is only about 10/15 minutes away by car.
|Routes through New Paltz|
|Albany ← Kingston ←||N S||→ Newburgh → New York City|