Nibong Tebal (高渊) is located in Seberang Perai Selatan district of Penang. The majority of Chinese who live here speak Teowchew (潮州话) instead of the Hokkien (福建话), which is commonly used on Penang island.
35 min from Penang by bus, 20 min from Butterworth by bus or taxi.
There is a train station in Nibong Tebal.
Buses from Johor Bahru depart for Nibong Tebal at 9.45pm daily.
- 1 Amazing Nibong Tebal (From Nibong Tepal train station, go south on Jalan Atas for 2km), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The specific species of mangrove tree which attracts these fireflies is the berembang (sonneratia caseolaris). Firefly watching at Sungai Kerian is increasingly drawing visitors, and the firefly is an icon of Nibong Tebal. The fireflies emit light at the lower abdomen not only to attract mates but also to scare away predators. Their abdomens are filled with a chemical called lucibufagens. Sunset cruises and tours are offered.
- Catching cockles / octopus
- Watching fireflies
- Catching "Udang Galah" (called "jumbo shrimp" in English, but really more like langoustines)
- One day tour
- Playing golf
- Fishing at Byram
- Pesta Pulau Pinang is an annual event. It was held at Tapak Pesta, next to Sungai Nibong bus station in November, 2013. It included snacks, entertainment, and sales of local products.
Ais Kacang, Assam Laksa, Cendol, & Char Kway Teow
Nice sea food available in nibong tebal and some high quality restaurant in Taman Pekaka, near USM engineering campus such as ex-sara (nice Iranian kebab and rice ) , M Box and Al-Rahman nasi kandar (good tandoori chicken ). Besides this, Radha's Corner offers Indian food (only during lunch time) that some say is the best in town.
In Pekaka you can find some good drinks such as traditional tea and laichi special drink.
- Bukit Jawi Golf Resort, ☏ , fax: . Lot 414, Mukim 6, Jalan Paya Kemian Sempayi.
- Kristal Golf Resort