Nichinan (日南市) is a small city in southern Miyazaki prefecture.
All of the stations in Nichinan are located along the Nichinan Line which runs from Miyazaki to Shibushi. If you are flying in from Miyazaki Airport, take the train to Tayoshi Station where you can transfer to the Nichinan Line. From Kagoshima (Kagoshima-Chuo Station), take the Nippo Line to Minamiyamazaki Station where you can transfer to the Nichinan Line. From Kitakyushu, there are Limited Express Trains to Miyazaki via Oita where you can transfer.
The historic castle town and related sites are located within walking distance of Obi Station, but the city limits cover a wide area leaving most places, including the famous Udo Shrine, far from any stations. Buses can be used to access many of these locations, but a car will give you the greatest mobility.
- 1 Udo Jingu (鵜戸神宮). A unique shrine located in a cave on a cliff face. This brightly colored shrine has become a popular tourist attraction. You can buy small clay pellets that you can attempt to throw into a hole at the top of one of the nearby boulders, women with their right hand and men with their left hand. If you get the pellet into the hole, they say your wish will be granted.
- 2 Obi Castle (飫肥城). While a fort stood here during the 14th century, it was not until the 15th century that the Shimazu clan built an actual castle on the site in order to defend against the Itoh clan. The castle was eventually decommissioned. Today there are some refurbished walls and gates and a history museum on the site. ¥600.
- 3 Yoshokan (豫章館). 09:30-16:30. Built in 1869, the Yoshokan was the home of an Ito Clan member. The garden has also been preserved. ¥200.
- 4 Denzaemon Ito Residence (旧伊東伝左衛門家). 09:30-16:30. Former home of the samurai, Denzaemon Ito.
- 5 Sun Messe Nichinan (サンメッセ日南), 2650 Miyaura, Nichinan City. Park with reproductions of Easter Island Moai statues. See also .
- 6 Takahashi House (高橋家住宅). The house of Genjiro Takahashi, a former member of the House of Representatives and bank owner.
- 7 Merchant Museum (商家資料館). The museum displays artifacts from former local merchants. The museum building is the oldest structure in the historic area.
- 1 [dead link] Aburatsu Coffee, 3-7-32 Iwasaki 1st Floor, ☏ . 11:00-19:00, closed Wednesdays. A relatively new and cozy cafe at the end of the Aburatsu shopping arcade.