Jump to navigation Jump to search
Nikaho (仁賀保市; nikaho-shi) is a city in south western Akita prefecture.
Nikaho is directly south of Yurihonjo, and from there it's conveniently accessible by train, bus, or car.
- 1 The Children's Ferrite and Science Museum (フェライト子ども科学館), 平沢字宝田４−１ (On the south side of Highway 7 in central Kisakata. The large glass spire-like structure is clearly visible from the road.), ☏ , fax: . Tu-Su 9AM-5PM. This is a small science museum. There are many hands-on exhibits involving magnets, sound, and various other topics. A few exhibits have information in English. Outside, there is a large trampoline and jungle gym. Adults ¥500, children ¥300.
- 2 Shirase South Pole Expedition Memorial Hall (白瀬南極探検隊記念館), 黒川字岩潟１５−３. A memorial for Nobu Shirase, a man from Konoura, who led the first Japanese expedition to the South Pole.
- 1 Hamanasu Onsen (はまなす), 日本 秋田県にかほ市金浦中谷地２０−１ (Just SE of Highway 7 between Konoura and Kisakata. Near Nikaho High School.), ☏ . 7AM-9PM. An onsen, rotemburo, and sauna. ¥300-500.
- 2 Shishigahana Wetlands (獅子ヶ鼻湿原) (Take Highway 58 SE from Kisakata about 13km from the Highway 7 junction. Located behind Nakajimadai Forest Recreation Campground.). This wetlands area is a great spot for hiking in the woods. Some of the trees here are centuries old and famous for their age. The hiking trails are mostly tree-covered, and some of the streams naturally have a slightly bluish color. The most popular route is a well-signed 5km loop. Free.
- 3 Naso no Shirataki (奈曽の白滝), 象潟町小滝大ヒド (From Highway 7 in Kisakata, take Highway 58 east for 5km, then go south on Highway 131 for 1km.), ☏ . This is a 26m waterfall. Not far from the waterfall is the Kinpo Shrine. Free.
- 4 Mototaki Fukuryusui Underflow (元滝伏流水) (About 2km south from Kisakata Hospital). This is a 30m wide low waterfall. The wide low waterfall creates a mist, which contrasts with the green moss.
- 5 Tsuchida Farm (土田牧場), 馬場字冬師山４−６ (On the Nikaho Plateau), ☏ . Mar-Dec. This farm has a restaurant that serves lamb, among other things. It also has soft-serve ice cream, as well as cheese and sausage. In a separate building, there is a small petting zoo. Outdoor benches provide nice views of the plateau and surrounding mountains. Ice cream ¥300, petting zoo free.
- 1 Nodoka (農土香), Innai, Hishikata 201-2 (South of the Nikaho Branch Office, just east of Nikaho Junior High School.), ☏ . The owner makes excellent food, including fresh udon, soba, rice bread, and rice bread pizza.
- 2 Sasanoi (寿し割烹うなぎ笹乃井), 平沢字新町１１−３ (Exit Nikaho Station and turn right. The restaurant is just past the JA Akita Shinsei building.), ☏ . This is a sushi restaurant with good sushi and friendly owners. Lunch and specials for ¥1000-1500; dinner for up to ¥5,000.
- 1 The Jolly Roger Bar (ジョリー・ロジャー), 象潟町字家ノ後２３−３９ (From Kisakata Station, go west half a block. The bar is on the north side of the road.), ☏ . This bar has a mild pirate theme, and is said to have very friendly staff and customers.
- 1 Ichie (いちゑ), 三森字大苗代190 (On the north side of Highway 7 between Nikaho and Konoura.), ☏ . An upscale ryokan with onsen. Large rooms can be reserved for enkais. ¥12,000 for one night and two meals; specials available.
- 2 Nakajimadai Forest Recreation Campground (中島台レクリエーションの森キャンプ場), 馬場冬師山 (Take Highway 58 SE from Kisakata, turning as necessary to stay on Highway 58. This campground is about 13 km from the Highway 7 junction.), ☏ . This campground is located on the foot of Mt. Chokai, next to the Shishigahana Wetlands, a great hiking spot.
- 3 Sun-Nemunoki (サン・ねむの木), Kisakata, Sainokami 31 (300m S/SW of the Kisakata Michi no Eki), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 10AM. This is a hotel and onsen overlooking the Sea of Japan. Rooms are Japanese style, with futon mattresses on a tatami floor. Room with 2 meals ¥7000.
- Take a quick trip to Yurihonjo, just to the north.
- Climb Mt. Chokai, a popular hiking destination.
- See the Buddhist temple complex Dewa Sanzan, two hours to the south.
- Take the overnight train north to Aomori or south to Kanazawa or Osaka.
|Routes through Nikaho|
|Akita ← Yurihonjo ←||N S||→ Tsuruoka → Niigata|