Site description Nimule National Park is located in the extreme south of the country on the border with Uganda. The White Nile forms the eastern border of the park for c.48 km. Beyond it, on the eastern bank, there is a buffer zone, bounded by the Assua river to the north and by the Juba-Nimule road to the east. The Kayu river flows through the park from the Uganda border to the White Nile. The topography is hilly and most of the park is covered with savanna woodland of Acacia spp., Balanites aegyptiaca and Combretum aculeatum. Riverine woodland, found along permanent and seasonal watercourses, is composed principally of Acacia sieberiana and Borassus aethiopium. The site is contiguous with two IBAs in Uganda; Mount Kei Forest Reserve (UG022) and Mount Otzi Forest Reserve (UG023).
Flora and fauna
Can be reached by Swamp Airboat operated by www.bahr-el-jebel-safaris.com.
- At your own you can do: Arriving from Juba just before Nimule there is a sign at your right. Go in there after 300m you find after 300m a house, which is the headquarter. If nobody is there just ask the neighbour. They will help you find out.
For a one day permit it cost you $70. You can your permit in Juba, but also at the Headquarters at Nimule National Park. If you arrange it well you can see the permit as 24hours. You can do a couple of hours in the afternoon of your first day and the second day a full day for on day permit.
Arriving from Juba there is a sign just before Nimule. Drive into it and at the first houses on your right wait or ask assistence at the next house. They help you out.
Make a boattrip (cost approx 150SSP) to see hippo's and walk with the ranger into the park for as long as you want. You see elephants, hippo's, warthog, Ugandan Kob, Baboon, Vervet monkey, Goliath Heron. It is possible to enter the park without 4x4 or car. It is good to take one full day for it. Better you come one day earlier arrange the trip for the day after.
- You can take the bus to Nimule. Step out at the sign, walk to the headquarters (300m), arrange a boat with the ranger(walk 1km) and the journey starts. Journey is: seeing hippos on the boat, see elephants, walk for 2-6 hours around with the ranger in the park and possibly see a local village. This is a full day!
- See the falls / Rapids. This big rapids are amazing!! It is quite far to walk (1.5h), but by car easy to see.
- Check all animals from the hill. This is also possible for walking. After the headquarters take the first right and walk with the ranger to the first hill (+100m) along the Nile. You have an astonishing view from the top of it. You can see hippo's, elephants, etc... But a binocular is good to have.
- Smart Pub, Nimule Town (on the left side of the main road before entering Nimule town), ☎ . offers good food, beer and few types of wine(including champagne).. Prices are reasonable.. It also has a big screen TV showing sports round the clock with best music playing in the background. Must Try - the South Sudanese platter which consists of Smoked Chicken, Meat Curry, Fish Fry(Tilapia) with Kisra(local bread).
- Horizon Guest House, Juba - Nimule Road (You will find it on the left side of the main road before entering Nimule town...), ☎ . Check-in: 09.00, check-out: 09.00. Has around 20 rooms with attached bathrooms. Costs 100 SSP per person/room. Also has a restaurant where you get drinks and food. Food however is limited to single dish 'Chicken and Chips' throughout the day.(Alternatively, you can dine at Smart Pub in the town if you want some variety). Rooms are generally clean in the hotel. Geysers don't work. Power supply is only till 01.00 in the night. So, don't be surprised if you wake up in pitch dark. Supply is generally restored again in the afternoon. A good place to stay in Nimule. Most of the international crowd travelling from Juba to Nimule to visit National Park stay at this place.