Nkob is the capital village of the Berber Ait Atta tribe. The Ait Atta belongs to Confederation Ait Atta that are spread along Ouarzazate, Errachidia, and Azil Provinces.
The Amazigh Ait Atta are an ancient Berber tribe existent before Arab and Islam entrance in Morocco in the 7th century. The Ait Atta tribe were the most important Moroccan tribes between the 15th and the 19th century.
If you're looking to go deep into the Berber life of south Morocco, Nkob can be quite interesting and offers great experiences.
Nkob village is located on the road between Ouarzazate and Tazzarine. This is the southern road to connect Marrakech and Erg Chebbi Dunes in Merzouga.
Road distances to Nkob
- From Marrakesh = 340 km
- From Ouarzazate = 136 km
- From Agdz = 67 km
- From Tazzarine = 36 km
- From Alnif = 97 km
- From Rissani = 195 km
- From Merzouga (Erg Chebbi) = 228 km
By grand taxi
You can get a grand taxi from Ouarzazate to Nkob from the Central Bus Station (Gare Routiere d'Ouarzazate). 60 dirham per person. 08:00, maybe one more later. The return trip is around 15:00.
You can get a grand taxi from Rissani (e.g. from Merzouga) to Tazzarine for 50 dirham, with a potential interchange at Alnif (2 hr, 25 dirham). From Tazzarine to Nkob 25 min, 15 dirham. Also, there is a 11:30 bus from Rissani to Alnif, return 16:00, 20 dirham.
You can get a bus from Ouarzazate's bus station to Tansikht (40 dirham) and from here get a shared to Nkob 12 dirham per person, 15 min ride.
You can easily explore the village and the 2 surrounding oases on foot.
- Nkob Market (Mountain Trekking in Nkob) (Saghrou Mountains). Friday animal Market, Saturday and Sunday Market for local produce and all you can imagine. Nkob Market (souk) is the 2nd biggest of Zagora Province where many people from the region come to make business and shopping.
- Mountain Trekking (Mountain Trekking in Nkob) (Saghrou Mountains). Nkob is surrounded by the Saghrou Mountains. These mountains offer great trekking opportunity and great wilderness. E.g. 5 days mountain trekking from the Dades Valley crossing the Saghrou Mountain all the way to Nkob village (400 dirham per day per person, all included).
- Explore the Kasbahs (Kasbahs Nkob Morocco) (Old village). Explore the immense Kasbahs inside the old village. If you have the chance try to enter one of the houses to see an upper view of the whole region.
Don't miss the change to visit Nkob weekly market.
- Region Berber Sandals (Near supermarket Dohou and Restaurant Id Bab n'Ali). There's one shop in Nkob named Ait Atta Shoes from Mr. Oufafa. Price ranges from 120-150 dirham for high quality handmade leather sandals.
- Henna powder (Many shops on the main street of Nkob). Morocco's best henna comes from Nkob so if you're looking for prime quality henna powder this is the best place to get it. You can even buy it at local people's houses as many families have few hectares of henna plantations. henna powder costs 10 dirham for 200 g.
- Almonds. Nkob is known for great almonds organically grown.
- Women Berber cosmetics and clothing. Many shops on the main street sell local Berber women clothing and cosmetics.
- Restaurant Kasbah Ennakhile (Restaurant Nkob).
- [dead link] Homemade Berber Food (Homemade Food Nkob), La'aoun Street, ☏ . Lunch time from noon to 15:00 / Dinner time from 20:00 to 22:00. 100 dirham per person. Not more than 10 people. Booking in advance needed..
- Restaurant Merzouga (Food Nkob) (In front of weekly market). Eat traditional homemade food made in a real wooden fire. Great chance to taste authentic Berber cuisine made by Mrs. Fatima. Around 50 dirham per person..
- [dead link] Restaurant Station ZiZ, Ziz Gaz Station, ☏ . M-Sa 07:00-midnight. A very nice place where you can enjoy good tasteful tajines, couscous, brochettes, the typical berber soup and refreshing salads. Idir welcomes you with mint tea served on the terrace or in the garden.
- Panaché Milk Shake (Milk Shake Morocco). Panaché is a usual Moroccan milk shake blending milk, sugar, apples, avocado and banana. This can be easily be changed to a non-dairy and no sugar smoothie if asked to do it with orange juice instead of milk. Depending the fruit season peach and strawberries can also be added. Ask for panaché special for an extra taste of dried grapes and almonds. 10-15 dirham.
- Avocado Milk Shake (Milk Shake Nkob). Most cafés will prepare you an avocado milk shake. This is probably one of Moroccans' favourite milk shakes.
- Tigmi Nkob Chez l'Habitant Home Stay (Home Stay Nkob Morocco), La'aoun Street (right in the middle of the village, surrounded by old kasbahs.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Hotel 300 dirham single room + breakfast + dinner; 500 dirhams double room + breakfast + diner.
- Hotel Kasbah Ennakhile (Hotel Kasbah Nkob), o (right on the way out of Nkob direction Tazzarine.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel 300 dirham room in Kasbah (private bathroom) + Diner + Breakfast / 160 dirham room in Auberge (shared bathroom) + Diner + Breakfast.
- Ksar Jenna (Hotel Ksar Jenna Nkob) (2 km before Nkob direction Ouarzazate), ☏ . Hotel
- Auberge Ouadjou (Auberge Nkob Morocco) (entrance of Nkob near Ziz Petrol Station), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Camping car space available. Rooms and tents. Double room 240 dirham / Single room 130 dirham.
- Kasbah Baha Baha (on the toad heading Saghrou), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel built inside a traditional kasbah in center Nkob. Single room 250 dirham / Double room 370 dirham / Triple room 500 dirham.
- Kasbah Imdoukal (In the village center near Tigmi Nkob Chez l'Habitant). 300 dirham per person.
- Riad du Sud (Kasbah Hotel Riad du Sud), Tamsahelte (Tazzarine), ☏ . Hotel Kasbah Riad du Sud is located in the village of Tamsahelte at about 10 km from Tazzarine direction N'Kob and 20 km from N'Kob. Coming from Ouarzazate or Zagora take the N12 at Tansikht direction N'Kob / Tazzarine. From N12 turn of to the village of Tamsahelte and when arriving at the first houses turn right up the hill. Although the road to the village is not paved, normal cars can easily drive through. Double Room B&B: 400 dirham.
Nkob village is on the road between Ouarzazate and Tazzarine. This is the southern road to connect Marrakech and Erg Chebbi Dunes in Merzouga.
- Erg Chebbi – Amazing orange colored dunes just 35km away from Erfoud
- Erfoud – The entrance town to Erg Chebbi Dunes, great town to buy goods before entering the open desert
- Rissani – Desert town with a museum, Alaouite King Mausoleum and impressive center market
- Merzouga – Village on the edge of Erg Chebbi Dunes
- Errachidia – Region's capital with airport and other main government facilities
- Ouarzazate – Called the capital of the south, Ouarzazate makes the transition from Oases to Sahara Desert