Norrköping is a city in Östergötland in Sweden. It is Sweden's 8th largest municipality with a population of more than 128,000. It used to be dominated by the paper and textile industry, from which it got the nickname "The Manchester of Sweden".
- 1 Experience Norrköping, Värmekyrkan, Källvindsgatan 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M–Th 10:00–17:00, F 10:00–15:00, Sa 10:00–14:00.
- 1 Norrköping airport (NRK IATA Kungsängen). Connection to Copenhagen, Helsinki and Munich and also regional flights to Visby
- Stockholm Arlanda Airport is about 200 km to the north. SJ run several direct trains a day to Norrköping, and at other times you can change in Stockholm.
- Stockholm Skavsta airport about 60 km north of Norrköping. Ryanair and other low-cost airlines service this airport. Flygbussarna have bus services running from the airport to Norrköping.
- By train to the 2 Norrköping Central Station. The SJ X2000 trains between Malmö and Stockholm stop in Norrköping. SJ also run direct trains from Stockholm via Nyköping, from Gävle via Stockholm and Uppsala, and from Linköping. A further regional route runs from Katrineholm (for connections from Göteborg), Västerås, and Sala.
A nice way to get around in Norrköping is with the orange trams. Tickets or cards can be bought onboard, but the price is twice as high than if you buy the ticket or card beforehand in a kiosk, supermarket, or similar. You can even pay by SMS to avoid the 50% surcharge when paying cash on the tram or bus.
Everything listed here in the city is within walking distance of the other listings, as the town centre isn't that big.
- TaxiKurir Norrköping, ☏ . Smart phone app offers address based routing and calculates price according to them.
- Bolt Norrköping. Smart phone app offers address based routing and calculates price according to them.
- 1 Arbetets Museum (The museum of work), Laxholmen (On an island in the river). Worth a visit, as is the surrounding Industrilandskapet/Strykjärnet area with a concert hall, a science park, a tourist center, a church, other museums, an art school, some space owned by the university and a lovely waterfall. Free entrance.
- 2 Kaktusplanteringen (Cactus park), Drottninggatan 3B, ☏ . 24 hours daily. An intricate display of various cactus in Karl Johans park (close to the railway station) has over 25,000 cacti. Free entrance.
- 3 Norrköpings Konstmuseum (Norrköping's art museum), Kristinaplatsen 6. A large collection of 20th-century modern art and contemporary works. Free entrance.
- 4 Norrköpings stadsmuseum (Norrköping City Museum), Holmbrogränden 2, ☏ . Tu W F 11:00-17:00; Th 11:00-20:00; Sa Su 11:00-16:00. A museum about the history of Norrköping. Free entrance.
- Walking the promenades
- 1 Domino, Linden and Spiralen, Drottninggatan 37. Domino, Linden and Spiralen is a gathering of three large shopping centers that lies in the center of Norrköping City. The area consists of many small shops and especially brand shops, so the price may be a little higher than other places, but the variety of items you can find and the nice city scenery should make it worth while.
- 2 Ingelsta Handelscentrum, Järngatan 6. One of the largest commercial shopping districts in Sweden. Notable stores include Maxi, Coop Forum, City Gross, Willys, Media Markt, Bahaus, El-Giganten and many food restaurants, small stores and electronic shops. Due to the high concentration of large retail stores you should get a decent price even for otherwise expensive items.
- 3 Pressbyrån, Repslagaregatan 5A. A well-stocked magazine store with lots of international and Swedish magazines.
- 4 Vaxkupan, Drottninggatan 25. An ambitious record store with new and used records, and postcards.
- 1 Restaurang Athena, Kungsgatan 19, ☏ . A Greek restaurant with a nice and affordable menu. They also serve pizza and salads. Mains are 75-175 kr.
- 2 Burgers & Bangers, Drottninggatan 15, ☏ . Tu-Sa from 16:00; Su from 12:00. Cosy "hipster burger" place. Mains 85-130 kr.
- 3 Fräcka frökens frestelser, Kungsgatan 43, ☏ . Not a restaurant, but more of a sandwich café that serves salads, sandwiches, bagels and various types of coffee in a trendy environment. It's very close to the university campus and is therefore popular with students.
- 4 Härlig Pasta, Drottninggatan 19, ☏ . Tasty pasta in a nice atmosphere. Mains 75-170 kr.
- 5 Sukiyaki, Kungstorget 2, ☏ . A traditional Japanese restaurant that has a large variety to their menu. They have a nice indoor setting and also an outdoor area with a great view. Mains are 80-150 kr.
- 1 Hugo Nattklubb, Slottsgatan 143. One of the biggest nightclubs in Norrköping hosts a large indoor space and, in summer, outdoor space for people to sit and mingle. The club often bolsters with famous international DJs and artists performing. The club's most frequent visiting age group are young people between 18 and 25.
- 2 The Bishops Arms, Tyska Torget 2, ☏ . A highly regarded old school pub with a large assortment of beverage, especially beer and whiskey but they also have a cigar bar. They have a fine indoor serving, but in summer they also have a really nice outdoor area by the river. The frequent visitor is typically between 30 to 60.
- 3 O'Learys, Drottninggatan 60. An Irish-themed sports pub with a rich décor of old sports pictures and paintings. They often arrange evenings so visitors can reserve tables to watch soccer, hockey or other sports and have a drink at the same time. They bolster a large number of TVs and screens so you won't miss what's going on. People of all ages with an interest for sports often visit this pub.
- 4 Världens Bar ("The Bar of the World"), Västgötegatan 15, ☏ . A multicultural pub/restaurant that has an indoor area shaped as a large corridor with several small sitting spaces and rooms. At day it is a popular dining place and at night a well visited pub often frequented by university students. Mains are 75-120 kr.
- 1 STF Vandrarhem Norrköping/Abborreberg, ☏ . Lindö. Bus 116 from Norrköping station, 5 km.
- 2 Turistgården, Ingelstagatan 31, ☏ .
- 4 Elite Grand Hotel, Tyska Torget 2 (500 m south of Central Station; next to Rådhust tram stop), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00. Four-star hotel in a fully modernised building from the early 20th century. Most rooms have a view of either the river or the town hall; available with single bed, double, or two singles. Breakfast and wireless internet included.
Norrköping is considered very safe, but there is some crime. However, you shouldn't feel uneasy even if you walk the streets by night. Take normal precausions and avoid places like the bigger parks. On weekends Norrköping often experience the normal festivities of any town and the inner city (Drottningatan and Kungsgatan) may have some drunks and noisy people rumbling around. If you happen to meet a drunk person they most likely want to engage in conversation, just be friendly and say you don't have time or are going someplace and they will most likely back off. Physical confrontations are very rare.
- 30 km north-east of Norrköping you'll find Kolmårdens Djurpark, Sweden's largest zoo with some 500,000 visitors yearly. Its main attraction is the dolphinarium, the only one in Scandinavia, with daily dolphin shows. Another popular feature is the safari park, where visitors drive their own cars among the animals. Entrance to the park is 230 krfor adults or 120 kr for children. The dolphinarium is included in the price, but not the safari park drive. Vildmarkshotellet (the Wilderness Hotel) is a hotel for those wishing to stay near the zoo. In summer another option is Safari Camp Kolmården, where families stay in African-style camp tents near the safari park. Bookings at +46 11 15 71 00 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org. The zoo has it name from the large forests in the area.
- Löfstad Palace, south of Norrköping, is a well-preserved home of the last private owner, who died in 1926. Guided tours, a restaurant and a gift shop. Buses run to the palace from Norrköping several times daily.
- Historic town of Söderköping, south of Norrköping.
- City of Linköping with a cathedral and a castle and several museums.
|Routes through Norrköping|
|Helsingborg ← Linköping ←||SW NE||→ Nyköping → Stockholm|