North Hollywood is a district in the San Fernando Valley located in the city of Los Angeles. Despite the similar name, North Hollywood does not share a border with Hollywood, which is located several miles to the southeast.
CA-170 passes north-south through North Hollywood, becoming US-101 as you follow it south to Hollywood. CA-134 is a major east-west freeway that crosses along the southern edge of North Hollywood.
North Hollywood is served by the county-wide Metro public transit system. The intersection of Chandler Blvd and Lankershim Blvd is the terminus for both the Metro Rail Red Line (which heads south via Universal City to Hollywood and Downtown L.A.) and the Metro Orange Line busway (which heads west to other Valley neighborhoods.
The NoHo Arts District is walkable
- Circus Liquor, 5600 Vineland Ave, ☏ +1 818 769-1500. A local landmark that has been used in a number of movies (most notably in Clueless), noted for its rather sinister-looking 30-foot neon clown sign out front.
North Hollywood is known for its numerous small independent theatres. The most famous is the El Portal on Lankershim and Weddington.
Small boutiques and thrift shops are found along Lankershim between Chandler and Camarillo, and along Magnolia between Tujunga and Vineland. Some of the shops are being replaced by newer trendy shops as North Hollywood gentrifies.
North of the gentrified "Arts District" is a working-class neighborhood largely populated by Latinos. Delicious authentic street food can be found along such streets as Vineland (north of Burbank) including numerous taco trucks and bacon-wrapped hot dogs. These are affordable options that are usually open late.
Along Lankershim in the NoHo Arts District can be found several gems:
- Vicious Hot Dogs, 5231 Lankershim Blvd, ☏ +1 818 985-3647.
- Big Mama's and Papa's Pizzeria, 5219 Lankershim Blvd, ☏ +1 818 766-2660.
- Salomi Indian & Bangladeshi Restaurant, 5225 Lankershim Blvd, ☏ +1 818 506-0130.
- Tonga Hut, 12808 Victory Blvd (at Coldwater Canyon), ☏ +1 818 769-0708. 1950s tiki bar, claims to be LA's oldest.
- Skinny's, 4923 Lankershim Blvd, ☏ +1 818 763-6581. Hip neighborhood lounge.
- Mikado Hotel, 12600 Riverside Dr, ☏ +1 818 763-9141, fax: +1 818 752-1045. $98 (Jan 2023).
- The Garland, 4222 Vineland Ave, ☏ +1 818 980-8000, toll-free: +1-800-238-3759, fax: +1 818-766-0112. This California, mission style hotel is located on seven beautifully landscaped acres, with two towers featuring 255 rooms, 12 of which are spacious suites. $239 (Jan 2023).
- Studio City - This neighboring city is home to CBS Studios and a host of restaurants, including those on LA's "sushi alley" on Ventura Boulevard.
- Universal City - Another neighboring city, Universal City is home to Universal Studios.
|Routes through North Hollywood|
|Santa Barbara via ← Studio City ←||W E||→ Burbank → Pasadena|
|Ends at ← North Valley ←||N S||→ Studio City → Downtown L.A. via|
|END ←||N S||→ Studio City/Universal City → Downtown L.A.|
|Chatsworth ← Van Nuys ←||W E||→ END|