North Pole is a city of 2,100 people (2019) near Fairbanks in Interior Alaska. The city is a summertime attraction for tourists visiting nearby Fairbanks and, due to its location on the Richardson Highway, those traveling to and from the Alaska Highway and Valdez.
Prior to Christmas each year, the US post office in North Pole receives hundreds of thousands of letters to Santa Claus, and thousands more from people wanting the town's postmark on their Christmas greeting cards to their families. It advertises the ZIP code 99705 as the ZIP code of Santa. A community program also responds to letters addressed to 1 Santa Claus Lane.
|North Pole (Alaska)|
|Climate chart (explanation)|
- Green. M-Sa. Operates between the transit center in Fairbanks and central North Pole and takes about a half hour. $1.50 or $3/daypass (as of July 2021, it is free due to COVID-19).
North Pole is on Alaska State Highway 2, about 14 miles east of Fairbanks.
The town is quite small and can easily be explored on foot.
Taxis are available locally from North Pole Taxi (☏) or King Cab (☏ ).
- 1 Santa Claus House, 101 St. Nicholas Dr, ☏ , toll-free: . 10AM-6PM. The most obvious sight in the city is the "Santa Claus House," a Christmas-themed gift shop with live reindeer next door and appearances by Santa himself. You can also arrange for anyone you wish to receive a letter from Santa just before Christmas! There is a sweet shop inside and the "World's Largest Santa" statue outside.
- Meet Santa. Summer W-Su 10AM-6PM, Winter Sa Su 10AM-6PM. free.
- Antler Academy (next door to Santa Claus House). M-F 9:45AM-12:30PM & 1:15PM-5:45PM. Meet and feed Santa's reindeer. $13/adult, $8/child.
The city of North Pole has a 5.3% sales tax.
Postage and mail - use the special Santa/North Pole cancellation slot.
- Pagoda Restaurant, 431 N Santa Claus Ln, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 11:30AM-9:30PM. Opened in 1990, it was featured on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives.
- Fire Wok, 249 N Santa Claus Ln, ☏ .
- Dalman's Family Restaurant, 3340 Badger Rd #195, ☏ .
- The Sweet Shop at Santa Claus House, 101 St. Nicholas Dr. 10AM-6PM. A small cafe inside the Santa Claus House. Has coffee, fudge and other desserts.
- Elf's Den Dining and Lounge, 14 Richardson Hwy, ☏ . M-F 4-10PM, Su 4-9PM. Was featured on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives.
- Beaver Lake Resort Hotel, 2555 Mission Road #1103, ☏ , fax: . Motel suites with full kitchen and apartments for extended stay.
- Hotel North Pole, 449 N Santa Claus Ln, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Extended-stay hotel beside North Pole Plaza mall. Wi-fi and continental breakfast included. Meeting and banquet facilities.
- North Pole Branch Library, 656 NPHS Blvd, ☏ . Tu-F 11AM-5:30PM, Sa 11AM-5PM. The new library building opened in 2014 and has wifi. free.
Salcha - The Knotty Shop. Another local attraction is "The Knotty Shop" which features various items made of knotted wood as well as a room the refer to as a wildlife museum that is a large display of taxidermy.
|Routes through North Pole|
|Manley Hot Springs ← Fairbanks ←||N S||→ Delta Junction → Tok|