Europe > Britain and Ireland > United Kingdom > England > North East England > Tyne and Wear > Tynemouth
Tynemouth is in Tyne and Wear. This travel guide also covers North Shields and Cullercoats.
The modern town of Tynemouth includes the villages of Cullercoats and North Shields and has a combined population of 67,500. However there are still separate centres in these communities.
It is worth noting that the Tyneside coast can sometimes be covered in fog on days when Newcastle is in sunshine, so it is worth checking the weather before visiting on a warm summer day.
Three stations serve the area.
- 1 Tynemouth Metro Station. Convenient for the centre of Tynemouth and the Castle. Also home to a weekend market.
- 2 North Sheilds Metro Station.
- 3 Cullercoats Metro Station. Near Cullercoats harbour
The area is well served by buses, and the metro can also be used to travel between the centres.
There is a good riverside walk from North Shields to Tynemouth, and a coastal walk from Tynemouth to Cullercoats.
- 1 Tynemouth Castle and Priory, Pier Road, Tynemouth, NE30 4BZ. Apr - Sep: daily 10:00 - 18:00; Oct daily 10:00 - 17:00; winter Sat, Sun 10:00 - 16:00. A castle, ruins of a Benedictine priory (founded in the 7th century) and some 1939-45 coastal defences. Mostly outdoor ruins, but with a preserved chapelwith a £5.80.
- 2 Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade Watch House Museum, Brigade Watch House Museum, Spanish Battery, Tynemouth, NE30 4DD. Tue - Sat 10:00 - 14.30, Sun 10:00 - noon. The Volunteer Life Brigade is a voluntary coastal rescue organisation, performing rescues from the shore by rope etc. The Tynemouth brigade was established in 1864. The museum includes a working model of Breeches Buoy rescue equipment. donation.
- 3 Lord Collingwood Monument, Pier Road, Tynemouth. A massive monument to the admiral that was Nelson's second in command at the battle of Trafalgar. The monument has good views of the River Tyne.
- 1 Beaches (Down a long set of steps from the coast road.). Walk or play on the sandy beaches at King Edward's Bay, Long Sands or Cullercoats Bay
- 2 Tynemouth Pier and lighthouse. Variable opening times, weather dependent. Walk 800m out to sea, and see the outside of the lighthouse. The pier was built between 1854 and 1909.
- 1 Front Street in Tynemouth. has a selection of small shops and galleries, and is a good street for browsing.
- 2 The Beacon Shopping Centre, Bedford Street, North Shields, NE29 6QF. Mon - Sat 9.00 – 17.30, Sun 10.00 – 16.00. A selection of lower end chain shops.
- 3 Royal Quays Outlet Centre, Coble Dene, North Shields, NE29 6DW. Remainder stock from an assortment of mid-range stores.
- 1 Riley's Fish Shack, King Edward's Bay, Tynemouth, NE30 4BY. Mon, Wed - Sat: 9:30 - 22:00, Sun 9:30 - 17:30. Good fish, but not cheap. Excellent location, right on the beach.
- 1 The Park Hotel, Grande Parade, Tynemouth, NE30 4JQ. 55 room Art Deco style hotel completed in 1939. fom £59.