Northern Hungary is a region of Hungary. It includes the counties Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, Heves and Nógrád.
- 1 Balassagyarmat — former seat of the Nógrád comitatus (county). Balassagyarmat is famous for the traditional Palóc culture.
- 2 Eger — famous for its baroque buildings, castle and wines, especially Bull's Blood (Bikavér)
- 3 Gyöngyös — city of wines
- 4 Hatvan
- 5 Kazincbarcika
- 6 Mezőkövesd — spa with hot mineral water
- 7 Miskolc — with the unique cave bath in Miskolctapolca, the third largest city in the coutry, located near the Bükk hills
- 8 Ózd
- 9 Salgótarján — a former mining town situated in the hills with two castle ruins
- 1 Aggtelek National Park — include a superb karst complex, part of UNESCO World Heritage List
- 2 Szépasszonyvölgy — a great valley for wine tasting in Eger
- 3 Tokaj-Hegyalja — interesting wine region, part of UNESCO World Heritage List
- Great Milic Nature Park
- 4 Rakaca Reservoir
- 5 Bükk Mountains — a section of the Carpathian Mountain range in Northern Hungary
You should try to take the Intercity trains, they're much cleaner than regular and international trains, they don't stop at every small town and a seat is reserved for you. Intercity trains are a bit more expensive and it's better to reserve your seat days before the travel, because they are usually full.
North Hungarian Mountains
- 1 Bükk (Bükk or Bükk hegység – literally Beech Mountains) (You can get in on road No. 25. from Eger. You can enter on the M3 Highway from Miskolc. Or, if you come from Slovakia, you can choose Road No. 27. and Road E96.). A section of the Carpathian Mountain range. Located in counties of Heves and Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén. There are some interesting caves: Prehistoric Cave, Istállóskő Mountain; Szent Anna Cave, Lillafüred; Szent István Cave, Lillafüred. Do: You can tour on the paths in the forests.
- 2 Cserhát (Hungarian: Cserhát - literally "Turkey Oak Back", where "Cser" is Turkey Oak and "hát" is back). Includes Hollókő, an UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 3 Karancs-Medves area (Slovakian: Mučínska vrchovina) (Near to Salgótarján).
- 4 Matra (Mátra) (Located between the towns Gyöngyös and Eger. From Budapest turn off from main road at Gyöngyös and drive toward north. By public transport maybe the easiest way take a direct bus to Kékestető). Include Kékestető the highest peak of Hungary (1014m a.s.l.), a popular winter sports resort.
- 5 Zemplén Mountains / Tokaj Mountains (Zempléni-hegység/Tokaji-hegység). Spotted with castles and ruins, a wine region that is also member of the UNESCO world heritage site list
Tours, walks, treks
- Unlimited options see above at North Hungarian Mountains.
- Turkish bath in the Hospital of Francis Markhot, Eger (Markhot Ferenc Kórház Törökfürdő) (Heves County).
- Carbon dioxide gas's Spa Bath of Mátraderecske (Mátraderecskei Széndioxid Gyógygázfürdő) (Heves County).
- The tap water all area potable.