Jump to navigation Jump to search
Northern Isaan is a region of Thailand, close to the border with Laos. Geographically it is part of the Mekong Valley. The barrier between Northern Isaan and Central Isaan is the Phu Phan Mountains.
- 1 Bueng Kan — The newest province in Thailand and Isaan region, separated from Nong Khai in 2011
- 2 Loei
- 3 Mukdahan — next to Mekong river, Second Thai–Lao Friendship Bridge is located here
- 4 Nakhon Phanom
- 5 Nong Bua Lamphu
- 6 Nong Khai — the gateway to Vientiane in Laos
- 7 Sakon Nakhon
- 8 Udon Thani — home to Ban Chiang Archaeological Site
- 1 Chiang Khan — see an amazing temple, laze around, looking at Laos
- 2 Jom Jang — small village near Nong Khai
- 3 Phon Phisai — a village nearby Nong Khai
- 4 Phu Kradueng National Park — A national park that protects Phu Kradueng mountain, a mesa that rises 1,000 meters above the surrounding valleys. Hiking trails in the park lead to overlooks and past waterfalls.
- 1 Udon Thani Airport (UTH IATA).
- Udon Thani and Nong Khai (end of the line) can be reached from Bangkok on the train. There are 4 trains per day in each direction, with a travel time from Bangkok to Nong Khai of 10-12 hours.