Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel has been perceived as a winter tourist destination, mainly because of the alpine ski centre on Mont Carmel. It also has cross-country ski trails, snowmobiles, quads and icy trails in the Lost Forest area. Summer recreational tourism activities are also popular in particular: hiking, cycling, camping, vacation camp at Villa du Carmel, the hebertism trail at the "Domaine de la forêt perdue" (Domain of the lost forest) and the suspended labyrinth.
The territory's economy is mainly focused on agriculture, forestry (especially along the Saint-Maurice River and in the northern part of the territory), several businesses, several recreational and tourist activities (e.g., camping, sugar bush, trails), public services (CPE, schools, municipality) and residential character. In addition to the main village, several residential or resort hamlets are spread over the territory, notably around Lake Doucet, Lake Morin, Lake Bellevue, Route des Vétérans and Mont Carmel (southwest side).
Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel is located along the Saint-Maurice River (north shore), its northwest side bordering Shawinigan-Sud; it borders on Saint-Louis-de-France, on the east side. Its north-west side comprises a large area of marsh extending to the east of the Saint-Maurice river between Lake Trotochaud and the cove at Rocheleau, up to 'au lac Noir. The head of the Rivière des Chutes is to the east of Lac à la Tortue.
The territory has seven ranges: rang des Grais (on the edge of Saint-Maurice), rang St-Louis (northwest side and southeast side), St-Flavien range (northwest side and southwest side) and rang St-Félix (northwest side and southeast side).
The area near the Saint-Maurice River is rather covered with forest. The northern zone of the municipal territory is predominantly agricultural.
The Rivière Cachée (Hidden River) is a tributary of the Saint-Maurice river (upstream of the La Gabelle dam). The Cachée river flows on 17.6 km (10.9 mi) crossing Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel. The sinuosity of this river at the bottom of a flow in the lower part of its course explains the origin of its toponym. In the past, several road accidents occurred in the Cachée Coast of the old road segment linking Shawinigan-Sud and Cap-de-la-Madeleine.
Flowing mainly in agricultural areas, the Brûlée river flows over 14.1 km (8.8 mi) in Saint-Maurice. It flows onto the northwest shore of the Champlain River.
The village of Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel is accessible by road (cars or buses), ATV and snowmobile trails.
The village is located at the junction of chemin du rang St-Flavien (east and west) and rue des Vétérans. Highway 157 bypasses the village on the northeast side.
- From Montreal (162 km (101 mi). Time: 1 hr 53 min. From Montreal, take highway 40 (north shore) eastbound, to Trois-Rivières (Cap-de-la-Madeleine sector); Route 157 (northbound), crossing the village of Saint-Louis-de-France, to the village of Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel.
- From Quebec City (114 km (71 mi). Time: 1 hr 31 min. From Quebec City, take highway 40 westbound; take route 352 (northbound) through the village of Saint-Maurice; turn left at rang St-Félix; turn right at rue Landry and drive to the village of Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel.
The MRC des Chenaux transport service allows you to travel to Trois-Rivières and Shawinigan, as well as some trips within the MRC. ☏ .
- 1 Dépanneur Station Service chez Magoo (Depanneur Station Service at Magoo), 3491, route 157, ☏ . Gas station.
- Église de Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel, 11, de la Fabrique, ☏ .
- 1 Parc nature La Gabelle (La Gabelle nature park), ☏ . La Gabelle Park allows you to practise sport fishing, or to indulge in walking on hiking and cross-country skiing trails in winter. This park has several art structures scattered throughout its territory. A belvedere allows a panoramic view of the Saint-Maurice valley and the La Gabelle power station. This park has several picnic areas to appreciate the wild nature. The entrance to the trail is located on the Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel side. A wooden bridge leads walkers to a very large staircase which leads to more than 10 km of trails. The La Gabelle power station offers an inter-connection link open to road vehicles.
- 1 Domaine de la forêt perdue (Domain of the lost forest), 1180, rang St-Félix, ☏ . 15 km of icy trails in winter to cover (day or evening) through a pine forest. Course in the form of a labyrinth. It is possible to walk along the trails or use the snowshoe trail that goes around the Domaine. Play of light on about two thirds of the Domaine, in the forest. Hebertism trail. Hanging maze.
- Sentiers pédestres (Walking trails). The public hiking trails are all located at La Gabelle Nature Park. The municipality is working on a project for a trail connecting Parc La Gabelle to Parc de l'Île Melville, over a distance of 10 km of intermediate or advanced caliber. Two private companies also offer hiking trails: Domaine de la forêt perdue and Biathlon Mauricie.
- Sentier équestre (Equestrian trail). Trail maintained by the Pégase Equestrian Club. It crosses the municipality from east to west.
- Sentier de motoneige (Snowmobile trail). Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel is crossed from east to west by the national snowmobile trail. Upstream from La Gabelle generating station on the Saint-Maurice River, an ice bridge allows the river to be crossed to reach Saint-Étienne-des-Grès.
- ou http://www.fqcq.qc.ca/ Sentier VTT (MTB trail). Several federated and non-federated trails cross the territory of Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel. A federated path crosses the municipality from east to west.
- 2 La Griffe d'ours (pourvoyeur) (Bear's Claw (outfitter)), 1, chemin L'Islet, ☏ , email@example.com. Outfitter near the Saint-Maurice river (north shore) in Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel. Various types of hunting are offered: black bear, woodcock. Fishing activities. Tourist package.
- 3 Marché de Noël montcarmelois (Montcarmelois Christmas market), 3991, rue Mgr Beliveau (salle paroissiale). 5th Christmas Market in Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel in 2021.
- 1 Marché du Carmel, 4590, route des Vétérans, ☏ .
- 2 Marché Valmont Senc, 1602, rue Principale, ☏ .
- 3 Bleuetière Yves Beaulac, 234, rang St-Flavien-Ouest, ☏ .
- 4 Ferme Fernand Lamarre, 1111, rang St-Félix-Est, ☏ .
- 5 Fraisière Buisson, 2571, route 157, ☏ .
- 6 Les Serres Morand (The Morand Greenhouses), 1060, rang St-Louis-Est, ☏ . Fruits, trees and vegetables.
- 7 Miel Roger Carignan, 4770, rue Paquette, ☏ . Honey products.
- 8 Pâtisserie Sans remords ni arachides (Pastry Without remorse or peanuts), 250, 2e rue, ☏ .
Other types of trade
- 9 Pharmacie Proxim Blais et Soucy (Proxim Blais and Soucy pharmacy), 3430, route 157, ☏ .
- 10 Solarôme inc, 1242, rang St-Louis-Est, ☏ . Essential oils.
- 11 La Manchure, 3880, des Vétérans, ☏ . Quebec knife maker.
Animal husbandry and care
- 12 La Grande Chevauchée (The Great Ride), 1910, rang St-Félix, ☏ . Riding stable.
- 1 Pizzeria Mont-Carmel, 3333, route 157, ☏ .
- 2 Resto du Lac, 1430, rang St-Flavien-Est, ☏ . Restaurant on the site of the Lac Morin campground.
- Sugar shacks
- 3 Horticulture Sucrerie Buisson, 2571, route 157, ☏ .
- 4 Sucrerie du Moulin, 4911, route Lamothe, ☏ .
- 5 Érabrière, 3060, route 157, ☏ . Maple syrup craftsman.
Chalet, gîte, inn
- 1 Auberge La Griffe d'Ours, 1, chemin L'Islet, ☏ .
- 2 Auberge Mont-Carmel, 3481, route 157, ☏ . A small country bar. Main activities: singers, karaoke, auction evenings on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- 3 L'Alexis gîte touristique, 1380, rue Principale, ☏ . Site near the ski slopes of Notre Dame-du-Mont Carmel and the Domaine de la Foret Perdue.
- 4 Les chalets la sainte paix, 1851, rang Saint-Flavien, ☏ .
- 5 Les Villas Champêtres, 580, rang Saint-Félix, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Offer of two domains for rent: one is in Venise-en-Québec on the shore of Lake Champlain; the other, at Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel. Year-round chalet accommodation service.
- 6 Camping Lac Morin, 1430, rang St-Flavien-Est, ☏ , email@example.com. Campground with 300 campsites around lakes Morin, Megan and Wilson. MTB trail. Groups of equestrian clubs can be grouped together in a reserved area designed for the well-being of horses and their riders.
- 7 Camping Paradiso, 1281, rang St-Flavien-Est, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00-20:00. Campground with 222 sites. Rental of various types of chalets: unusual, semi-detached, chalets. Rental of trailers.
- Municipal parks
- 4 Six parcs de quartier: Gratien, Thellend, de l'Énergie, du 150e et ceux du Centre Jacques Gauthier et du Centre municipal des loisirs (Six neighborhood parks: Gratien, Thellend, Energy, 150th district and those of the Jacques Gauthier Center and the Municipal Recreation Center) (the six neighborhood parks are spread across the territory), ☏ . The 150th arrondissement park includes an outdoor training center and a misting area to cool off in summer. This park is on the route of the green route for bicycles. free.
- Community Halls
- 5 Centre municipal des loisirs (Municipal recreation center), 3880 rue de l'Hôtel-de-Ville. Tuesday. This recreation centre includes training circuits according to the caliber of each: beginner race, interval race, passionate circuits and energy candle for 50 years and over. free.
- Public library
- 6 Bibliothèque municipale, 3991, rue Mgr Béliveau, ☏ , email@example.com. This library is equipped with 34 various documents: documentaries, novels, comics, various albums, etc. About 30 periodicals, dictionaries, encyclopedias and about 1500 music CDs are available to the public. free.
- Other sports activities
- 7 Piste de ski de fond (Cross-country ski trail), 3940, rue du Parc-Industriel. Beginner-caliber 5-km trail, starting from rue des Dahlias, to the city limits of Trois-Rivières (Saint-Louis-de-France sector). In addition, a 7-km track is set up at La Gabelle Nature Park (St-Étienne-des-Grès side). free.
- 8 Écocentre de Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel, 3940, rue du Parc-Industriel. free.
- 1 Saint-Louis-de-France Established in 1904 as a parish municipality, it became a city in 1993, until 2002. This urban sector of Trois-Rivières since 2003, has the Parc de la Terre des Loisirs, the Moulin golf club and an airport.
- 2 Shawinigan-Sud
- 3 Saint-Narcisse A municipality of the MRC des Chenaux with seven ranges. A mountain line crosses the municipal territory over its entire length, separating the Moyen-Mauricie plateau with the Basse-Mauricie plain. Its economic vocation is mainly agricultural, partly forestry, with a significant increase in recreational and tourism activities (maple groves in the moraine, resort, Batiscan River Park).
- 4 Saint-Maurice