The fastest way to get there is bus. There are buses from Krakow leaving from the Bus Station next to Main Railway Station on the upper deck of the station every 30 minutes. There are two major companies: Szwagropol and Voyager. Ticket costs 22 PLN (as of July 2021) and takes around 2h to get in. You can buy tickets online, in the ticket kiosk on the lower deck of the Krakow Bus Station, or from the driver where you can also pay with card.
1 Nowy Sącz Bus Station hosts private-owned long-haul buses to/from Kraków, Tarnów, Limanowa, Piwniczna-Zdrój, Krynica-Zdrój, Grybów, Zakopane and others.
As an alternative way, trains from Kraków depart every two hours and take 2h - 3.5h to get to Nowy Sącz depending on the service. Tickets from Kraków cost 15 zł. From Tarnów the journey takes two hours and costs 10 zł. It's a good choice if you want to make a stop in Tarnów or see some landscapes on the way, or if you just prefer trains over buses which are more comfortable.
2 Nowy Sącz railway station is two km south of the historic centre.
Public transport in Nowy Sącz is managed by MPK Nowy Sącz. There is no schedule on Google Maps, however you can use jakdojade app which gives you precise directions and timetable. You can also buy tickets via app.
There is also a ticket machine inside the interchange bus station where you can pay with either cash or card.
You can also buy the tickets inside the bus at the driver, however it's cash only and you need a specified amount of cash as there is no change given.
3 Nowy Sącz MPK Interchange Bus Station is the main bus station for local public transport around the city. It's located just next to the railway station. Nearly all of the services stop here so it is the best place to start.
- 1 Market Square (Rynek). One of the largest squares in Poland. Second only to Kraków's.
- 2 Town Hall. From the 19th century.
- 3 Royal Castle Ruins. Partially restored ruins of a medieval castle.
- 4 Saint Margaret's Basilica.
- 5 Great Synagogue, ul. Berka Joselewicza 12. This synagogue built in 1746 was once the center of Nowy Sącz's Jewish district. In 2017 the religious function of the building was restored. The synagogue is not open for visitors.
- 6 Open Air Museum of Architecture, ☏ .
Check the Nowy Sącz District Museum [formerly dead link] with several branches in different historical buildings.