Nuuk (The Headland) also known by its Danish name of Godthåb (Good Hope), is the capital and administrative centre of Greenland, with a population of around 15,000 (about 1/4 the entire population of the country). The city is sometimes accused of being rather soulless, with many high-rise blocks.
Nuuk, along with most of Greenland, has a subarctic climate. Being on the coast helps moderate temperatures somewhat, though, so winter temperatures are not unlike what one would experience in northern Europe or central Canada. However, in July the average temperature is only 7°C, with highs rarely above 15°C, so don't plan on a warm day any time of year!
The fall is the time with the most rainfall and snowfall, but it is at a pretty steady rate all year round.
|Daily highs (°C)||-5.5||-5.8||-4.9||-0.9||3.9||8.5||11.2||10.1||6.5||2.0||-1.4||-3.1|
|Nightly lows (°C)||-10.5||-11.1||-10.3||-5||-1||2.1||4.2||4.5||2.3||-1.4||-5.3||-7.6|
Source: Wikipedia. Visit the Met Office for a five day forecast.
There is absolutely no road or rail system connecting cities within Greenland. The only practical means to travel is by boat or air. On foot is less practical and far more strenuous, but somewhat plausible.
- Air Greenland offers connections to various destinations in Greenland, including Kangerlussuaq which has flights to Copenhagen, a major airport. During the summer months they fly to Keflavík, Iceland, where there are flights to the United States and several cities in Europe.
- Air Iceland flies year-round to Reykjavík (domestic airport), three times a week during the summer and twice a week during the winter months.
Arctic Umiaq Line has a passenger terminal to Maniitsoq-Sisimiut-Aasiaat-Uummannaq and Paamiut-Qaqortoq-Narsaq-Narsarsuaq.
Royal Arctic Line and Blue Water are cargo-boat companies operating out of Nuuk.
Nuuk has a small bus company (Nuup Bussii A/S), or you can rent a car.
- Nuup Bussii A/S, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sixt Car Rental, Industrivej 18 and at the airport, e-mail: email@example.com.
- 1 Greenland National Museum (Greenlandic: Nunatta katersugaasivia allagaateqarfialu), ☎ .
- 2 Nuuk Art Museum (Danish: Nuuk Kunstmuseum).
The old colonial town is located on the east coast side of the town centre.
Here you will also find the statue of Hans Egede, Hans Egede's House and church.
- 3 Statue of Hans Egede.
- 4 Hans Egede's House. Built in 1728 and reputably the oldest house in the country. The former residence of Hans Egede and later used for the country's prime minister. Currently it is used for government receptions.
- 5 Hans Egede Church. A wooden Evangelical Lutherian church.
- Whale watching by boat.
- Helicopter ride to the inland ice, Norse ruins and kaffemik at a nearby village.
Several hiking routes start from Nuuk:
- An easy hike from the Circuslake around the mountain Little Marlene follows a marked trail.
- A unmarked trek goes up Big Marlene and offers a view over Nuuk from above. Parts of this trail is on mountain sides with large boulders or steep climbs up loose rocks.
Handmade seal skin gloves. They cost around 500 DKR but will serve you for a long time. Ask for a shop near Colonial town.
- 1 Cafe Esmeralda, Aqqusinersuaq 6, 1. sal, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 10AM-9PM, bar closes 1AM on weekends. Pasta, wrap, burgers, omelets and sandwiches. DKK 100.
- 2 Godthaab Bryghus, Imaneq 30, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. This brewpub has good beer and good food. Burgers and steaks, often serves muskox, reindeer and lamb DKK 200.
- 3 Sarfalik (In Hotel Hans Egede). Gourmet food at reasonable prices. They have both a global menu and a local menu with muskox, carabou, seal, whale, etc. the course menu: DKK550.
- 4 Nipisa, Hans Egedevej 29 (Next to the huge Santa Claus mailbox), ☎ , fax: . We-Sa 6PM-10:30PM, brunch Sa-Su 11AM-2PM. Excellent gourmet food in the old Nuuk shipyard DKK 1000 for 5 course dinner with wine menu.
- 5 Charoen Porn, Aqqusinersuaq 5, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Great thai food with a Greenlandic touch - mattag, halibut, whale, and musk ox DKK 100 for mains, DKK 300 for the big menu.
Central Nuuk offers a variety of locations for the enjoyment of alcoholic beverages, all within quick walking distance of each other. Nearly all pubs offer the same selection of beer (Classic on tap and Tuborg and Carlsberg in bottles) at the same (expensive) price (DKK60 for 40cl of draught), but beer from Godthaab Bryghus is also available.
Greenlandic coffee is prepared with coffee, whisky, kahlua, whipped cream and grand marnier. It is prepared at the table in a little show and if you ask, you also get the story.
- Barista, Spindlers Bakke 10C, ☎ . 11AM-midnight. The place to get good coffee, slushies, and sandwiches DKK 25 for coffee.
- 1 Kristinemut, Aqqusinersuaq 7, ☎ . Mo-Th: 1PM-midnight, Fr: 1PM-3AM, Sa: noon-3AM, Su: noon-midnight. The oldest bar in Nuuk. Very lively
- 2 Daddy's, Imaneq 30 (Next to Godthåb Bryghus). Irish-inspired pub.
- Hotel Centerbo & Nordbo Apartments, Samuel Kleinschmidtsvej 11, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. DKK 795 to 1 685.
As Nuuk is only a small town, with a population of about 15,000, there is more or less no crime, there are no slums, and no places you should avoid, you can walk around everywhere at any time and stay safe if you just use your common sense.
You can choose among the destinations served by the boats and planes leaving Nuuk. Very adventurous travelers can also head inland by foot or dog sled.