Nyíregyháza is the county seat and largest city in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county in Eastern Hungary. Some of the most popular attractions can be found north of the city in the suburb of Sóstó. The city is mostly looked over by American and British tourists, though often visited by Polish, Ukranian, Romanian, and certainly Hungarian visitors.
- 1 Tourist Information Centre (Turisztikai Információs Központ TDM Iroda), Kossuth tér 1. (Center), ☎ , fax: +36 42/310-735, e-mail: email@example.com. M-F 09:00-17:00.
- 2 Tourinform Sóstó Themal Bath (TOURINFORM - Sóstógyógyfürdő), Nyíregyháza-Sóstó Thermal Bath, Water Tower,Sóstói road ~75 (North), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. ONLY SUMMER Jun.15th.- Sept.15th., M-F 09:00-17:00, So-Su 09.00-13:00.
- 3 Bus Station (Autóbuszállomás), Petőfi tér (200 m north of train station), ☎ . More direct lines:Eger (2-3 per day), Fehérgyarmat (four per day), Kisvárda (four per day, 01:25h), Mátészalka (every half hour until ~19:00, 1:30h), Miskolc (2-3 per day), Nyírbátor (16+ per day), Sárospatak (one morning, one afternoon), Tokaj (one morning, one afternoon), Vásárosnamény (16+ per day, 1:18h). Tiszafüred (Tisza Lake) via Debrecen (four per day).
- 4 Train Station (Nyíregyháza Vasútállomás). Direct international service to Kiev, Lviv, and Moscow. - Trains leave from both the Budapest Nyugati and Keleti stations (hourly, HUF5200, 2nd. cl.., three hours ). With InterCity You will have to pay an additional fee for your seat reservation (automatically issued at the ticket counter), but the limited seats may disappear quickly, especially on weekends when many students are travelling to and from the capital. InterCity trains run either through Debrecen (hourly, HUF1100, ~1/2 h) or Miskolc (hourly until 23:00, ~HUF1900, one hour). Szolnok (hourly until 23:00, ~HUF3700, two hours). Mátészalka a couple direct train, buses better (prices 2nd. cl., IC, 2014). Timetable
If you choose not to take an InterCity to Budapest, the journey will last closer to four hours as the train makes more stops. The train also will likely be less clean and less comfortable.
The train station is located about 15-20 minute walk outside of the town center. Szabolcs Volán  runs bus service throughout the city and to small villages in the region as well. Nearly all the buses from the train station (except #6 and #16) run through the city center. If going to Sóstó, Bus #8 (but not #8A) leaves from the train station and town center.
All tickets can be bought from any newspaper kiosk or from the driver at an additional cost.
The city itself is mostly devoid of must-see attractions, though you can take many pleasant walks with the squares and parks or see an exhibit or two. You will most likely want to spend most of your time in Sóstó to see the excellent Open Air Museum and the lake.
Museums, Galleries, and Collections
- 1 Open Air Museum of Sóstó (Sóstói Múzeumfalu), Nyíregyháza-Sóstó, Tölgyes utca 1, ☎ . It wonderfully preserves the architecture and customs of rural life in the region from a hundred years ago. The museum also often holds festivals and events where visitors can step back in time and experience life the way it used to be.
- 2 Jósa András Museum (Jósa András Múzeum), Benczúr tér 21. is the city's main museum and houses several permanent exhibits and occasional temporary ones. The permanent collection includes exhibits on local painter Gyula Benczúr, the life and works of local author Gyula Krúdy, the life of the museum founder Jósa András, the history of Nyíregyháza until World War I, the Hungarian calvary or huszárs, and the history of money.
- 3 [dead link]Greek Catholic Art Collection (Görög Katolikus Egyházművészeti Gyűjtemény), Bethlen Gábor utca 5. contains artistic relics of the Hungarian Greek Catholic church dating back as far as the 16th century.
- 4 Water Supply Historical Collection of the Upper-Tiszanian Region (Felső-Tisza-vidéki Vízügyi Történeti Gyűjtemény), Móricz Zsigmond utca 48. The collection contains items, photos, and portraits relating to water engineering in the county for the past 100 years.
- 5 Kállay Collection (Kállay Gyűjtemény), Széchenyi utca 1. contains items relating to and owned by former prime minister Miklós Kállay.
Places of Worship
Nyíregyháza has long been a city of religious diversity and five different religions are represented in the downtown.
- 6 Greek Catholic Church (Görög Katolikus templom), Bethlen Gábor u, 7.
- 7 Roman Catholic Temple, Kossuth tér, 4.
- 8 Reform Church (Református templom), Kálvin tér (just south of Kossuth tér), ☎ .
- 9 Lutheran Church (Evangélikus templom), Luther str., 1, ☎ .
- 10 Orthodox Synagogue, Sip u. This is currently not used, though recently restored and can be visited.
Nyírség Autumn and Fruit Carnival (Nyírségi Ősz- és Gyümölcskarnevál). September is the best time to visit the city as the first weekend kicks off the Autumn and Fruit Carnival. Parade floats are made entirely out of fruits grown in the region. Besides the parades, free concerts are held in Kossuth square.
- 1 Nyíregyházi Zoo (Nyíregyházi Állatpark, Sóstó Zoo) (near the #8 bus stop in Sóstó). Considered one of the best zoos in the country behind the zoo in Budapest. The zoo has a wide variety of animals from all the regions of the world, including Africa (lions, giraffes, elephants), North America (buffalo, cougars, raccoons), and the polar regions (polar bears, penguins).
- Móricz Zsigmond town theater (Móricz Zsigmond Színház), Bessenyei tér 13. Plays are frequently performed here in Hungarian.
- 2 City stadium (Városi stadion), Sóstói út 24/a. (north of the downtown, bus #8 or #8A). Nyíregyháza Spartacus is the local soccer team nicknamed "Szpari." They play here. The team currently plays in the NB I, Hungary's top professional league.?
Thanks mostly to Sóstó (which is Hungarian for "Salt Lake"), Nyíregyháza has many opportunities to spend time in the water, for recreation or health.
- 3 Aquapark (Aquarius Élményfürdő), Sóstói út, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Jun-Aug 09.00-20.00. Is a recently completed waterpark in Sóstó. It's divided into three "worlds": thermal world, which is like a traditional bathhouse; fun world, which has slides and wave pools; and children's world, designed for little children. daily ticket HUF2900. After 16 o'clock HUF1900, cabin Rentals HUF1900, lockers ticket HUF500, hangers HUF300, a store of value HUF700, electronic wristband with credit facility HUF9,000, solarium (3 minutes) HUF300 (2014).
- 4 [dead link]Park baths (Parkfürdő), Bernát u. 1-3 / Sóstói út 66 (in Sóstó, one min from local Tourinfo), ☎ , , fax: . Jun-Aug 09.00-20.00. is a small waterpark with 7 pools, a giant slide, a mini-golf course, and nudist bathing (only on the female side). daily ticket HUF2900. After 16 o'clock HUF1900,.
- 5 Sóstó bathhouse and hotel (Sóstó fürdőház), Nyíregyháza - Sóstógyógyfürdő, Sóstói út 75? (North shore of the Lake), ☎ , fax: . Hotel: 24/7, Bath: Daily 08:00-21:00, Spa service: daily 08:00-20:00. Contains 2 mineral pools ideal for relaxing in, a jacuzzi, and a sauna. Certainly the most expensive of all the places in town as tickets currently start at 1,990 Ft for an adult day ticket.
- 6 Lakeside baths (Tófürdő), Tófürdő, Blaha Lujza sétány 1 (on the southern side of Sóstó lake), ☎ . Are your only chance to swim in the lake itself. Only open from July to August.
- 7 Júlia Bath (Júlia Fürdő), Malom u. 19 (Center), ☎ . morning swim weekdays 6:00-09:00, M-Th 10:00-20:00, F 10:00-23:00, Sa-Su 09:00-20:00. Is the only bathhouse in Nyíregyháza proper on Malom u. 19. It is cheaper than the ones in Sóstó, and as such tends to be a bit more crowded. As a plus, there is a large pool specifically for swimming and not just sitting, as well as a warm thermal pool outdoors. The steam room is included in the admission, but you have to pay extra to use the sauna. Adult HUF1600, swimming ticket (before opening period of 3 hours) HUF900, traditional sauna (unlimited) HUF1200, Finnish sauna (for 2 hours) HUF12000, each additional hour HUF2200, Infrared sauna (30 minutes) HUF500.
- 1 Market (Piac). open daily. For some fresh food.
- Flea Market (by the airport. Take bus #1 and you can't miss it). every weekend. the real show is this, hundreds of stalls selling all sorts of items, mostly of Chinese origin. This market is often frequented by Ukranians and Romanians, which only adds the adventure.
- 2 Nyír Plaza (Nyírplaza), Szegfű u. 75 (Outside the city center, directly accessible only by the infrequent #11 bus or walking). is a small shopping mall and contains various shops, a food court, a bowling alley, and a multiplex movie theater.
- 3 Renomé Print, Szent István u. 4. (In the city center). Stationery and other office supplies.
As with all of Hungary, expect to find lots of places to eat a gyros. However, in the Nyíregyháza region you shouldn't expect the gyros to be served in a pita. It is always served inside a large hot dog bun with chicken meat.
- 1 Anno 1366 restaurant (Anno 1366 Kozepkori Etterem), Damjanich utca 6 (not far from the train station). is a medieval times themed restaurant with a good variety of old-style Hungarian food. As a bonus, many foods are served to you on a sword.
- 2 Rolling Rock Cafe, Luther utca 5. features both American and Hungarian food. The place gets crowded quickly--especially on the weekend--so reservations may be in order. Expect live music on weekends as well.
- Royal Restaurant (Royal Etterem es Pizzeria), Zrínyi Ilona utca 1 (just off Kossuth square.). They serve a large variety of pizza and pasta, but be warned: Ketchup is frequently substituted for tomato sauce.
John Bull Pub on Dózsa György u. 1., across the street from City Hall has a fantastic selection of Hungarian food and beer. Surprisingly, locals rarely come here and the restaurant is mostly frequented by foreign businessmen.
- 1 Kis Vakond Children - and Youth Camp (Kis Vakond Gyermek – és Ifjúsági Szaktábor), Nyíregyháza-Sóstógyógyfürdő, Szódaház u. 4-6. (N six km), ☎ , , , +3642/784075fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Located: in peaceful environment, near to the forest, at the lake. Suggested for entertainment and sport, Services: suitable for disabled people, garden, children's playground, children's supervision, board games, conference facilities, Table Tennis, Games, BBQ Facilities. - Two quadruple rooms, nine multiple bed rooms. Mobils: +3630/3228638 and +36 30 3228638. HUF3140-4710.
- 2 Hotel Barbizon (Barbizon Hotel ***), Szódaház u. 14. (N six km), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Near to the forest. Services: Banquet, garden, music bar, room service, catering, massage, babysitting / child Services, children's Supervisory, open private parking in the yard, room-service, 24-hour reception, site suitable for conferences, sat TV in room.
- 3 Bessenyei Hotel, Sóstói út 31/B. (N one and half km), ☎ , e-mail: , , firstname.lastname@example.org. air-conditioned rooms: 40 x 2 bed, 2 x 3-bed and 8 for handicapped guest. Sgl /dbl HUF4800 / 7600, all tax incl. Plus optional breakfast HUF1000, extra bed HUF2700.
- 4 Hotel Dzsungel, Nyíregyháza - Sóstógyógyfürdő, Blaha Lujza stny. 41. (West of the Lake, next to ZOO), ☎ , e-mail: , email@example.com. 16 rooms and 2 suites, all rooms with shower or bath, +36 20 3626717. Two / four-bed room with shower HUF 10000 / 20000, 4 seater family room with corner HUF 22000, Flamingo / White Tiger Suite HUF 25000 / 27000.
- 5 Hotel Furdohaz (Hotel Fürdőház), Nyíregyháza-Sóstógyógyfürdő, Sóstói út 75. (Sos Lake North Shore), ☎ . 24/7. Sgl / dbl HUF 16000 / 24000 (high season), three courses supper (opt.) HUF2500.
- 6 Korona Hotel, Dózsa György utca 1 (Center), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. *** Is situated in the centre of the city became famous among tourists aiming to visit the eastern part of the country, and among the more and more numerous internal and foreign businessmen. 35 air-conditioned rooms. Mobile: +36 20-2189667. - Events Halls: Kodály Hall with 80-90 seats, the Rendezvény hall (for 120 people) with a stage and gallery - Connection with the event, call: István Szilágyi +36 70 5552138, Sgl / dbl from HUF15000 / 26000 Breakfast daily 07:00-10:00, HUF1500 / person. - Lunch menus (H-F11:30-14:00), Lunch menu fares:prepaid HUF700, for payment at checkout HUF900..
- 7 Hotel Pagony (Hotel Pagony **** Wellness & Conference), Ilonatanya 15 (NE two km, near to Hwy #4), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Rooms: Four singles, 18 + 46 double rooms, four apartments and four suites. Single HUF9900, double (I) HUF14.500, double (II). HUF19900, apartment HUF29000, suite HUF29000.
- 8 Ozoon Hotel (Ózoon Hotel), Csaló köz 2., ☎ . Features a children's playground and the price includes unlimited free entry to the Nyíregyháza Zoo. Dbl / family rooms from HUF 12000 / 22000.
- Balmazújváros - A few daily buses, more trains all via Debrecen (~HUF1500, 1-2.5 hours depend of connections. Local History Museum, Peter Veres Memorial Exhibition, Semsey Palace.
- Debrecen (Take an IC train, hourly, HUF1100, ~1/2 h) — the second largest city in the country
- Eger (Direct buses (2-3 per day)). Eger is best known for its castle, thermal baths, historic buildings (including the northernmost Turkish minaret), dishes and red wines.
- Lake Tisza (Hungarian: Tisza-tó), Tiszafüred (Buses to Tiszafüred resort town via Debrecen). Hungarians began to flock to the site for holidays, since it compared favorably with the crowded and expensive Lake Balaton, the traditional holiday site. - The lake (or reservoir) has a new local ecology with a diversity of birds, plants, and animals.
- Hajdúszoboszló (IC trains (hourly until 23:00, ~HUF1800, less than an hour)). - a very nice bath city, also excellent for a day trip.
- Mátészalka (Buses, every half hour until ~19:'00, 1:30 h, also a few direct train), — a small town famous for it's early 20th century Jewish history and it's vibrant flea-market in modern times
- Miskolc (IC trains, hourly until 23:00, ~HUF1900, one hour, 2014),- the third largest city in Hungary located near the Bükk hills.
- Szolnok (Take an IC train, hourly until 23:00, ~HUF3700, two hours), - A small city on the banks of the Tisza river
- Tokaj (Buses, one morning, one afternoon, ~ an hour) - Hungary's most famous wine region.