Nyingchi (also Nyingtri or 林芝 Linzhi) is a prefecture level city in southwestern Tibet.
Nyingchi is a prefecture-level city in the lower reaches of the Yarlung Zangbo River. At an average altitude of 3000 meters above sea level, it is home to Tibetans and several other ethnic minorities.
Nyingchi Mainling Airport is located in Meilin County, 17 km from Mainling and 51 km from Bayi. There are buses to Bayi at the airport exit and train stations to Bayi, Mainling, Lhasa and other areas nearby.
The partially opened Sichuan-Tibet Railway passes through Nang, Mainling and Bayi (it will also pass through Pome in the future), which you can access from Lhasa and Shannan.
Buses to Nyingchi are available from Lhasa and Qamdo.
Some of the sights in Nyingchi can be reached by shuttle bus, but it is most convenient to charter a vehicle of your own.
Averaging 3,000m above the sea level, Nyingchi Prefecture in the lower reaches of Yarlung Zangbo River is home to Monbas, Lobas and some other ethnic minorities marked for their peculiar habits and customs.
Mount Namjagbarwa and the Yarlung Tsangpo Grand Canyon National Park, 496.3 km long and 5382 meters in maximum depth and believed to be the world's largest canyon, are the most interesting of all the tourist sights in the prefecture.
- Medog Nature Reserve: China's largest nature reserve with the best preserved primitive jungle in its bottom is found in an area of 460,000 hectares that slopes down from north to south on the southern side of the Himalayas in Medog County, southeast Tibet.
- Pagsum Lake: The sacred lake of Nyingma, with its beautiful scenery, has a temple called Tsozong Gongba Monastery on the island in the heart of the lake.
- Lulang: There are beautiful alpine forests, grasslands and flowers, giving a sense of Swiss scenery.
- Namjagbarwa Peak: A mountain known as the most beautiful mountain in China. The peak can be viewed from Yarlung Tsangpo Canyon, Sejila Mountain pass and other places.
- Horse riding in the grasslands of Lulang
- Boat trips at Pagsum Lake
- Hiking in Nanyi Valley
The stone pot-cooked chicken in Lulang is the most famous delicacy in Nyingchi.