Old Goa is 9 km east of Panaji, in Goa, a state of India.
Old Goa is the former colonial capital. Full of history, it's home to some scenic churches and convents that are well maintained and worth a visit. Make sure you have at least half a day to adequately understand and appreciate the place. The site is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India, and is a UNESCO listed World Heritage site.
Panjim (Panaji), the state capital of Goa, is barely 9 km from here, so it is easy to take a bus from Panjim to Old Goa. Private vehicles too ply, but taxis tend to overcharge in Goa.
It is best to visit the place on foot, since there is so much of history to seep in. Local guides, some approved by the tourism department of Goa, are available.
- 1 Archaeological Museum and Portrait Gallery.
- 2 Basilica of Bom Jesus. Home to the grave of St. Francis Xavier.
- 3 Church of St. Cajetan.
- 4 Chapel of St. Catherine.
- 5 Church and Convent of St. Francis of Assisi.
- 6 Church of Lady of Rosary.
- 7 Church of St. Augustine.
- 8 Museum of Christian Art.
- Pilar Seminary Museum.
- 9 Sé Cathedral Church.
- Sound and Light Gallery Museum. You can get a Christian religious tour. Artistically done.
Spend time walking around the monuments and see how Old Goa fits into global history and the meeting points of cultures of another century.
Souvenir and trinklet stalls here, but Panjim has a better choice nearby. Visit the shop at the Museum of Christian Art, at the annexe to the Santa Monica Convent. Worthy of a visit, and reasonably priced.
Options for food and drink are limited in Old Goa. There are a few restaurants in the area, and along the highway that passes through the area.
See above comment.
There are few places to cast anchor in Ola Goa. It might be better to stay at Panjim or elsewhere in Goa, as travel within the small region tends to be easy—even if traffic jams are a growing reality due, in part, to the spurt in tourism.
- 1 Old Goa Residency, ☏ +91 832 228 5327.
- 2 Shubhankar Heritage Hotel, ☏ +91 832 228 4619. An economy hotel located close to the railway station.
- 3 The Fern Kadamba, ☏ +91 832 244 2211. The only nearby upscale hotel.
- 4 DoubleTree by Hilton Goa - Panaji, Near Mandovi River, Kadamba Plateau, Bypass Road, ☏ +91-832-6719234. 5-star hotel with spa and fitness facilities, two restaurants and a lounge.
Usually by bus. The Konkan Railway has a nearby station, known by the village name of Karmali.