Olsztyn (German: Allenstein) is a historic town and capital of the Warmian-Masurian Voivodship in northern Poland. The city is home to 175,000 inhabitants and boasts a beautiful Gothic city centre. Some charming Masurian lakes are very close and the city has basically grown around them.
There is an international airport in the near town of Szczytno, but more flights go from Warsaw: Warsaw Chopin Airport: For those travelling from Warsaw serviced by Polski Express. See also: Routes/Timetable
Many international connections (see Poland::By bus).
- 1 Old Town Hall, Stare Miasto 33.
- 2 Castle of the Warmian Chapter (Zamek Kapituły Warmińskiej), Zamkowa 2, ☏ . Closed on M.
- 3 Planetarium and Astronomic Observatory, al. Piłsudskiego 38.
- 4 Co-cathedral Basilica of Saint Jacob the Apostle, Stanisława Staszica 11, ☏ .
- 5 High Gate (Wysoka Brama), Staromiejska 16.
- International Theatre Festival DEMOLUDY [dead link] is held every October and became one of the biggest festivals presenting contemporary theatre and drama from former communist countries.
- Rest4All, Wyzwolenia 8/5. Spacious rooms, shared kitchen, wifi, even some balconies. +48 723 536 919. $24.
- Przystań Hotel&Spa, Żeglarska 4. Offers quite the lake views from the restaurant/bar and also from the indoor pool and even some rooms. Sauna, gym, hot tub, spa treatments, etc. +48 89 651 90 00. $103.