Jump to navigation Jump to search
Oracle is a small town in South Central Arizona, about 40 miles north of Tucson.
- Drive to Oracle; there is no mass transit nor trains, and the airport closed years ago. It is located 38 miles from downtown Tucson.
- Bicycle to Oracle: especially on Saturday mornings, a surprising number of people can be seen bicycling up State Highway 77 from as far as Tucson. Bicycling to Oracle from Tucson involves an uphill slog of 30 or more miles and a climb of about 2000 feet in elevation. It's for serious cyclists only, but there sure are a lot of them!
- Hiking to Oracle is more practical than you might expect; Oracle is on the edge of the Coronado National Forest, and the state-spanning Arizona State Trail skims Oracle's outskirts.
- Hitchhike to Oracle: sometimes possible.
- Driving is usually easiest.
- Bicycling requires the ability to do mild hill climbs and to cover a few miles, even within Oracle itself.
- Horses are for some a fun way to travel through Oracle and vicinity.
- Walking, if you don't mind covering a few miles on foot.
- Hitchhiking is sometimes possible.
- 1 Biosphere 2, 32540 A Biosphere Rd, Mile marker 96.5 (.5 hour north of Tucson on Hwy 77), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 9AM-4PM daily, no reservations required. This unique facility was designed as an artificially closed complete ecology, and was the setting for research on human interaction with natural systems. The site is now owned and maintained by the University of Arizona, which conducts tours for the public. $20/adults, $13/children.
- 2 Acadia Ranch Museum, 825 E Mt Lemmon Hwy, ☏ , OracleHistoricalSociety@gmail.com. Th 4PM-6PM, Sa 1PM-5PM (fall); closed in summer except by appt.. Has several exhibits relating to the history and culture of Oracle. Free, donations appreciated.
- 1 Oracle State Park, 3820 E Wildlife Dr, ☏ . April–October, 8-5PM daily. A historic 4,000-acre ranch in the northern foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains. The Kannally ranch now houses the Environmental Learning Center, a small museum. The park offers opportunities for hiking, mountain biking, and horse riding. $7/vehicle or $3/person.
- 1 Sue and Jerry's Trading Post, 1015 W American Ave, ☏ , email@example.com. Tu W F-Su 11AM-4PM. Antique shop with an open-air gallery of large metal sculptures.
- 1 DeMarco's Pizzeria & Italian Restaurant, 1885 W American Ave, ☏ . Largest, most diverse menu of any Italian restaurant in Oracle, including some unusual items. Try the eggplant parmesan sub (not a misprint!) Serves American/Mexican breakfast, predominantly Italian lunch & dinner. $6-$13.
- 2 Lupe's, 35530 N Hwy 7779, ☏ . Simple, but tasty Mexican food. If you get the beef, make sure it's the machaco (shredded). $7-$10.
- 3 Nonna Maria's Ristorante, 2161 Rockliffe Blvd, ☏ . Tasty Italian food (pizza, pasta, calzones) in a casual but attractive setting. Family run, with paintings by the chef/owner on the wall. $8-$12.
- 4 Oracle Market, 760 E American Ave (across from the post office), ☏ . M-S 8AM-8PM, Su 9AM-7PM. Groceries and deli.
- 5 Casa Rivera's Taco Express (Casa Rivera's), 1975 W American Ave (across from the "Circle K"), ☏ . Local family-owned Mexican restaurant, very pleasant home-like atmosphere. Friendly staff.
- 6 The Preserve Restaurant and Bar, 66567 E Catalina Hills Drive, Tucson (Saddlebrooke Blvd and left at Catalina Hills Road (directions not on all gps units)), ☏ . W-Su 11AM-8PM. Restaurant with bar in the foothills of Catalina Mountains. Outdoor seating available. Call to ask if reservations are needed. Locals' and travelers' favorite for spectacular mountain views. WiFi available moderate.
- 1 The Oracle Patio Cafe, 270 W American Ave, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Sky Island Roasters, 1575 W American Ave, ☏ .
- 1 Chalet Village Motel, 1245 W American Ave, ☏ .
- 2 El Rancho Robles, 1170 N Rancho Robles Rd, ☏ , email@example.com. A historic guest ranch operating since 1923. $70-$160.
Oracle is a natural gateway to the Santa Catalina Mountains and Mount Lemmon, which offer many hiking, mountain biking, and camping opportunities.
|Routes through Oracle|
|Holbrook ← Globe ←||N S||→ Tucson → END|