Oral (Kazakh: Орал Oral, Russian: Уральск Uralsk) is a city in West Kazakhstan.
Oral (Kazakh: Орал), Uralsk (Russian: Уральск) in Russian, is a city in northwestern Kazakhstan, at the confluence of the Ural and Chogan Rivers close to the Russian border. As it is located on the western side of the Ural river, it is considered geographically in Europe. It has a population of 350,000. It is the capital of the West Kazakhstan Province. While the majority of the population is made up of ethnic Kazakhs, ethnic Russians also make up a large percent of the populations, and many other ethnic groups such as Tatars, Bashkirs, and Azaris are also represented. Because of its geographic proximity to Russia and its history, the city has been greatly influenced by Russian culture.
Founded in 1613 by Cossacks, the city was originally part of the Russian Empire. The Russian influence is still present to this day having strongly influenced the architecture and culture of the city and its people. The city played a small part in Russian history as the center of the Pugachev serf rebellion in the 18th century. The father of Russian Literature, Alexander Pushkin, visited the city with his friend Vladimir Dahl in September 1833 while doing research for his book The History of Pugachev and his novel The Captain's Daughter.
- 1 Uralsk Ak-Zhol airport (URA IATA). SCAT offers daily flights to/from Aktau and Atyrau. Air Astana offers flights tp/from Almaty, Frankfurt, Nur-Sultan. Direct flights to Moscow-Domodedovo with S7 Airlines. If you have Russian visa, you can use the nearby airport of Samara with direct flights to/from Moscow (up to 12 a day), Frankfurt Airport (Lufthansa) and Prague (Czech Airlines).
Train services calling at the Uralsk train station include Kiev-Astana, Moscow-Almaty and Moscow-Aktobe direct services that run every other day.
There are bus services connecting Uralsk with Samara (4 daily), Saratov and Orenburg as well as Atyrau (4 daily), Aktobe and Aksai.
The city has a functioning transportation network including buses and marshrutkas (mini-vans that drive along a set route). However, getting a map of the transportation network may be difficult for travelers to the city. Taxis services are also available. As in many countries of the former Soviet Union, gypsy cabs can be easily hailed from the street.
Traditional Russian architecture dating back to the 17th century can be seen throughout the center of the city. The main pedestrian street of Teatralnaya is like a mini version of Moscow's Arbat. Kazakhstan's first drama theatre, 150 years old, is located in this street. This theatre is now known as the Russian drama theatre. A larger, modern drama theatre, known as the Kazakh drama theatre, is located nearby on the main boulevard, Dostyk. Beautiful architecture, including two Russian Orthodox churches (one which is quite old), can also be found along Dostyk.
- 1 Museum of Yemelyan Pugachev (музей им. Емельяна Пугачева), Dostyk-Druzhby Avenue 168, ☏ . Tu-Su 10:00-18:00, closed M. this museum is located in a house built in 18th century. This house, which was built as a residence for Pyotr Kuznetsov, an Ural Cossack, once happened to be the very center of Pugachev inspired Russian serf rebellion, which took place between 1773-1775. It was once also a home for a library until it was transferred to a regional historical museum. It houses an extensive display of Ural Cossacks' artifacts such as cannons, banners and luxurious presents from Tzars. This is a very exciting exhibition that represents the life of Ural Cossacks.
- 2 Natural History Museum (Тарихи-өлкетану музейі), Dostyk-Druzhby Avenue 184, Uralsk 090000, Kazakhstan. Tu-Su 10:00-18:00, closed M. Here you'll see mostly natural stuff, then in the building towards the back, the Center for History and Archaeology, don't miss the vestments, rugs, and pottery.
- 3 Museum Of Manshuk Mametova (Мәншүк Мәметованың мұражай үйі), Srayshyk Street 51, ☏ . Where you can learn about a WWII hero, who died while continuing to repel the German forces after her crew was killed by shelling.
- 4 WW II Memorial Complex (ҰОС мемориалды кешені), Lyndovskaya Street. Solemn site with a stele and flame, plus tanks and artillery.
- 5 Karev House, Alexandr Karev Street 47. Historical building housing exhibits about Uralsk.
- 1 Station of Young Naturalists (Жас натуралисттер станциясы), Kairat Ryskulbekov St 49, ☏ . M-F 09ː00-18ː00. A small zoo with small enclosures. Bears and cats and fowl.
- 1 Sim-Sim (сим сим), Dostyk-Druzhby Avenue 187, ☏ . daily 10ː00-22ː00. This restaurant is the most renowned in Uralsk for it's 'Meat-on-a-stick', kebabs, or 'Shashleek' as the local Kazakh's call it. Check out the back room where there is an excellent picture of some 3D cats. Superb toilet facilities.
- 2 Beer Restaurant "Prazhskiye Nochi" (Пивной ресторан "Пражские ночи"), Evrazia Avenue 61/1. Tu-Su 12ː00-00ː00, M 14ː00-00ː00. Kind of like the name says, a purveyor of beer and lunch and dinner.
- 3 Summer Restaurant "Na Vysote" (Летний ресторан "На высоте"), Evrazia Avenue 61/1, Uralsk 090000, Kazakhstan. Here you can dine on the rooftop patio (in summer).
- 1 The Golden Cat (opposite Sim-Sim), Dostyk-Druzhby Avenue 190. daily 12ː00-02ː00. This bar cum restaurant is a favorite haunt for locals and ex-pats alike. You will often find people from the UK and US gathered here. The food is excellent and the beer is better. If you attend on a weekend evening, you can enjoy the sweet, chilled pleasure of saxophone jazz. Check out the che-chill and the excellent toilet facilities.
- 2 El Divino, Srayshyk Street 40. daily 10ː00-04ː00. A night club/karaoke place that serves food and drinks.
Aidana is a new hotel complex which offers quality accommodation at a low price. Located in front of city's indoor skating ring.  [dead link]
Sayakhat Hotel is in the very center close to the Rai (The Heaven) night club.
- 1 Apartments Galactika, Pobeda St 105, ☏ . Very refined and purposeful apartment rooms. 10786 tenge.
- 2 Hotel Oral (Ural), Kurmangazy Street 80/2, ☏ . is quite cheap and services are seeing some improvement lately. Close to Atrium shopping center and many bars and cafes.
- 3 Pushkin Hotel, Nursultan Nazarbayev Avenue 148B (located in the historical building close to Ural River bank and Uralsk University main building), ☏ . Good restaurant and very cozy rooms. 27795 tenge.
- 4 Chagala Hotel Uralsk, Temira Masina St 67/1, ☏ . Good food, in-house bar and comfortable accommodation.
Free Wi-Fi spots available in the domestic airport terminal, Dixi pub in Atrium shopping center and City Park. There are few internet cafes scattered around the city; try Kazakhtelecom in the city center.
- Russian Federation, Mukhit Street 78, Uralsk, Kazakhstan, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Monday to Thursday: 09:00 - 13:00 and 14:00 - 18:00.
- Italy, Honorary Vice-Consulate, AB2 Building, Czech Camp, Aksai 418440, Kazakhstan, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com.