Oryol (Russian:Eagle) is a city in the Chernozemye region of the Russian Federation. This regional capital is a destination for its clean air, old churches, and extensive literary and dramatic history.
Oryol is located 368 km to the South from Moscow, on the way to Ukraine and Crimea. It is just a 5-hour drive from Moscow, the road is a 4-lane highway until Tula, often bumpy though, and then 2-3 lanes of a moderate quality. Alternatively, you can take an express commuter train from Kursky railway station in Moscow. It starts at 6PM and arrives at Oryol at 10:40PM There is also an overnight 'sleeping' train starting at 11PM and arriving before 6AM Generally, there are a LOT of trains passing Oryol from Moscow on their way to Ukraine. The fare is US$10-20-40 depending on the carriage class.
Firmenny sleeper train Turgenev № 603/604 rides between Oryol and Moscow daily.
The central part of the city is pleasant and walkable. To travel around, locals choose between public buses, trolley-buses, trams and numerous minibus-taxies. Fares vary from a fixed US$0.33 (buses, trolley-buses and trams) to US$0.50 (minibus-taxies); however, you may prefer to move around by a private taxi (US$3-7 for trips within the city). The interesting means of transportation is a river tram, a boat shuttling on the river for tourist purposes but may be used for other ones. It goes from the Central Park to Luzhki aka Luzhkovsky Bridge at 10-00, 12-00, 14-00, 16-00, 18-00, 20-00 if there is no less than 10 passengers abroad.
- Museum of Regional Studies
- Museum of Military History
- Museum of Fine Arts
- House of Ivan Turgenev
- House of Ivan Bunin
- House of Nikolai Leskov
- Bogoyavlensky Cathedral, among the churches it is the oldest building in the city, founded in 1640.
- Victory Park
- The Central Park (ЦПКиО)
- Korfball, a Dutch sport of which Russia's best team trains in the city.
- Salut (Салют), 36 Lenina St (from the railway station by trolleybus #3 to the stop Glav pochtamt), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The hotel is located in the city center and has a range of various rooms. There is a restaurant, a cafe, fitness-center, solarium and billiard. Tou can also take an excurion at the tour bureau. Wi-Fi. single room from at 2000 руб.
- Rus (Русь), 37 Maksima Gorkogo St, ☏ , fax: . On the corner of the central square. Restaurant.Wi-Fi. 4 categories of single rooms: 700-3500 руб.
- Hotel Grinn (Гринн), 4 Kromskoe shosse. Restaurant, bar, night club, bowling, fitness center, currency exchange, pool, internet-cafe. 2800-16000 руб for single rooms.