Osiyan or " Osian " popularily known as " Gateway to The Thar Desert ", is a small town known for it's ancient temple ruins and exclusive Camel Safari in Rajasthan, India. The ancient town of Thar Desert was a great trading center between 8th to 12th centuries. Today it is a desert oasis with 16 Brahamanical and Jain temples that are beautifully sculpted and designed; most of which have stood ravages of time.
Osiyan is about 65 km north of Jodhpur off of the main highway leading to Bikaner. It is easily accessible from Jaisalmer and Khimsar. Osian (Osiyan) is on the route of Jodhpur-Jaisalmer (Train, Road) via Phalodi. THe route via Osian has less traffic and interesting desert countryside to explore. The roads are fairly good.
- Sacchiyay Mata Temple - is a popular Hindu Goddess, this is most famous and most visited temple in town, very busy during 'Navratra' a 9 day festivity of goddess Durga in month of Sept.
- Mahaveera Jain Temples - inside the city, is also a well kept temple complex, very interesting for its old stone carvings.
- Other Temples - the rest of the temples in the area are just ruins, but they remind us of the prosperity of this ancient town a 1000 years back.
- Katan Baori - a step-well located within walking distance east of Jain Temple; west from car parking.
- Osiyan and surrounding parts of the desert country are less visited and offer an experience of authentic desert village life, camping and camel Safari in the Thar Desert(Rajasthan).
- Khetasar Village Safari(See weaver, potter etc.)
- Camel Race and Camel Polo at Camel Camp.
- Authentic villages and stay at desert folk's huts home-HACRA.
- Cafe Osian on Osian - Phalodi Road near the Railway Track.
- Camp Thar - (contact : Thakur Digvijay Singh (M)09414128574 www.campthar.com)
- The Camel Camp - ( contact : R.K Reggie Singh (M) 09828032100 www.camelcamposian.com)
- Camp Thar (contact : Thakur Digvijay Singh (M) 09414128574 )
- The Camel Camp ( contact : R.K Reggie Singh (M) 09828032100 )
- Camp Thar (contact : Thakur Digvijay Singh (M) 09414128574 www.campthar.com)
- The Camel Camp ( contact : R.K Reggie Singh (M) 09828032100 www.camelcamposian.com)
- HACRA Staying like truly desert-folk in some middle of the desert villages. A chance to experience typical desert style huts as home. HACRA is a team of desert natives that offer-home stay, camping and desert walks. (contact: email@example.com; www.hacra.org)