Ottertail is a small, cozy tourist town in Northwestern Minnesota with a population of 474. In 2002, Ottertail was the fastest growing city in Minnesota due to its growing fame in the greater metropolitan area of Minneapolis, Saint Paul. With a vast collection of beautiful lakes, large golf courses, and old-fashioned antique stores, Ottertail is the best place to go if what you are looking for is a genuine mid-western experience (farms, lakes, and small, but modern towns).
The only way into Ottertail is by car.
- Car - by far the best way to see Ottertail and its surrounding beauty.
- Walk - best way to get close to the lakes.
- Lakes - hundreds of lakes surround the city of Ottertail. Ottertail Lake, the 6th largest lake in Minnesota, is home to hundreds of beautiful summer homes and resorts which add to it's profile as a weekend getaway.
- Farms - the many farms that dot the surrounding countryside are tributes to old-fashioned mid-western living.
- Thumper Pond Golf Course and Resort. Designed by Eric Niskanen, is "a must play in Minnesota" according to Golf Magazine.
- Ottertail River - its winding, scenic path is a must for people who enjoy tubing down the river. Many local businesses offer tube rentals.
- Potato Fest - in early August, locals kick-off this small town festival that includes a parade and pyrotechnics display.
- Otter Supper Club & Lodge, 306 MN-78, ☏ . Live music.