Morocco’s best ski resort and Africa’s highest at 3270 m (10,734 feet). Drive towards the town of Setti Fatma in the Ourika Valley, the last exit before Setti Fatma at the foot of the mountain will take you to Oukaimeden. The road is covered and in good condition. To get you to the top you have your choice of chair lift, T-bar or donkey. The best skiing in the Atlas Mountains is found in January to February.
In January and February it's possible to get the accomplishment of having skied in Africa under your belt. 45 km south of Marrakech, high in the Atlas mountains, lies the ski resort Oukaimeden, sitting at 2,600 m. The resort's single chairlift (or the optional donkey) takes you up to 3,258 m – at the peak of Jebel Attar. One you're up there, there are five runs to take you down again, the longest of which is about 3 km, alternatively take some of the less imposing drag lifts at the bottom of the slope. A one-day ski pass should set you back some 90 dirhams. There are four hotels to choose from if you want to sleep over.
- Amazigh Chalet (2700m), 57 oukaimeden circle (oukaimeden marrakech), ☏ , email@example.com. it is a nice new chalet in a spectacular landscape near mount Toubkal (4176 m), the highest peak in North Africa. 3 rooms, American kitchen, chimney, it is a suitable place to go skiing in Africa, and also for trekking. 185 dollar.
- Chez Juju: tajines, French sausage cassoulet, mixed grill, salad with goat cheese. Sunny terrace. + 212 524 319 005.
- Hotel Club Louka, ☏ . On the right past the army camp just before the lifts. Decent sized rooms but dirty with broken tiles and loose power sockets. The hotel is in desperate need of a refurbishment but with 101 rooms it is quite likely to have a vacant room. Although open in summer, it's nearly abandoned and empty.
- Chez Juju: new rooms chalet style with bathrooms. +212 524 31 90 05
- Club Alpin Français: the CAF refuge is quite substantial with rooms and dorms of various sizes. +212 524 31 90 36