Písek is a town in South Bohemia, known for the oldest stone bridge in the Czech Republic. Due to its nice small historic centre, Písek might be a good stop on a journey between Prague and South Bohemia (e.g. Český Krumlov).
The name "Písek" means "sand", because of gold prospecting on Otava river. In middle ages, Písek was one of the most populous and important royal cities in Bohemia. It was located on a trade route connecting Bohemia with southern Europe. However, during the centuries Písek lost its importance. Now it is with 30,000 inhabitants third largest city in South Bohemia Region.
By car, it takes around 1h20min from Prague. Half of the way is on D4 highway, which is planned to be elongated up to Písek. Buses from Prague (Na Knížecí station) go to Písek very often and it takes approximately the same time by bus as by car. There is no direct connection by train.
- 1 Písek Stone Bridge. The oldest bridge in the Czech Republic and one of the oldest bridges in central Europe (yes, older than the Charles Bridge in Prague) built in 13th century in gothic style with baroque statues.
- 2 Písek Castle and Prácheň museum, Velké náměstí 114/3, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 9:00-18:00 (17:00 October-December), during winter and on Mondays closed. Local museum in the area of former castle.
- 3 Synagogue. not accesible
- 4 Marian Column, Alšovo nám.. Built in 1715
- 5 Městská elektrárna Písek, Podskalí 2537/4, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hydroelectric power station built in 1888. 70Kč.
- 6 Písek Town Walls.
- 7 Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Main church and also the highest building in Písek with gothic frescoes.
- 8 Church of Holy Trinity. Small late gothic church in areal of old Písek cemetery.
Outside the centre
- 9 Jewish cemetery.
- 10 Jarník Tower. Lookout tower located in "Natural Park Písek Mountains", circa 3 km from the centre - follow red and after crossroad "U Vodáka" blue tourist path. Nice view of Písek and surrounding area. Free.
- 1 Tesco Hypermarket (Nádražní 2590/36), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 6:00-22:00. supermarket at Písek train station
- 2 COOP, Dvořákova 343, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. smaller supermarket in the centre.
- 1 Kozlovna U Plechandy, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 11:00-23:00. Traditional Czech cuisine; summer terrace with view of Písek Stone Bridge.
- 2 U Reinerů, Heydukova 98, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:30-23:00. Czech cuisine, good beer
- Tandoor, Heydukova 172/10, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 11:00–15:00, 17:00–22:00. Indian cuisine
- 1 Vykulená Sova, třída Národní svobody 32/11, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon-Thu 10:00-22:00; Fri 10:00-00:00; Sat 14:00-00:00; Sun 14:00-20:00. Favourite café in Písek, cozy atmosphere.
- 1 Hotel Biograf, Gregorova 124/6, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Hotel Art, Fráni Šrámka 158/2, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Hotel Villa Conti, Lesní 1277/1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. located 1 km from the historic centre near big forest ("Natural Park Písek Mountains")
- 4 [dead link] Penzion Nevada, Kocínova 140/4, ☏ .