Paithan is a Taluka city in Aurangabad District that is part of Marathwada region of Maharashtra state. Paithani is 56 km south of Aurangabad on the banks of Godavari River. It known in the ancient times as 'Pratishthan' was capital city of Satvahan dynasty and major hub of commerce at that time. Paithan is also the birthplace of Sant Eknath - one of the greatest saints of Maharashtra. Great sant Dnyaneshwar made vedamantras to be spoken from the mouth of malebuffalow thereby showing vedas are not soleright of brahmins anybody can go for them.
Today's Paithan has fewer but definite signs of the old glory it once carried. The Archeological Survey of India has found remnants from 1st and 2nd century CE around Paithan.
Paithan is 56 km south of Aurangabad. As most people would want to continue to Paithan from Aurangabad, the best way to reach it is by road from Aurangabad which is a state highway. When coming from Pune, one can take the SH60 till Ahmednagar and proceed to Paithan via Shevgaon. Shortest route from Mumbai will be SH2 which starts from Kalyan and goes through Murbad, Malshej Ghat, Aale Phata and Ahmednagar.
The nearest railway station and airport are in Aurangabad.
Paithan is a small city and you can get around on foot. Cycle could be yet another option.
- Eknath Maharaj Temple Shrine of Sant Eknath that devotees flock during Nath-Shashthi.
- Paithani Kendra Paithani silk saris are renowned with exquisite zari borders. A visit to the weavers workshop is fascinating and one can order a customised saree as well.
- nathsagar dam - Dam on River Godavari - Largest river in Southern India. The reservoir is called Nath Sagar.
- Jayakwadi bird Sanctuary has attracted many species of resident and migrant birds. Almost 200 species of birds can be found in this region, which includes more than 70 species of migratory birds. Out of these, 45 chief species are of international migration. Notable amongst migratory birds are Cranes, Flamingos, Pintails, Wigeon, Shoveller, Brahmany Duck, Pochards, Teals, God Wit, Shauces, Glossy Ibis, etc.
- Dnyaneshwar Watika - built on the lines of the famous Vrindavan Gardens in Mysore, Pinjore in Haryana and the Shalimar in Kashmir. The musical fountain show is noteworthy. Do not miss the museum that houses remnants found in the excavation done around Paithan. It is at the far end of the garden.
- Visit Paithani Kendra - Paithanis are exotic, hand-woven saris which is speciality and uniqueness of Paithan.
- Bird Watching around Jayakwadi Dam and the tail waters of River Godawari
- Take children to Jnyaneshwar Watika that has puppet and musical fountain show.
- Paithani and other hand-woven clothes
- There are numerous hotels in Paithan town but most of them serve vegetarian food. Try Dal-Khichadi. Very fresh preparations of freshwater fish from nathsagar dam.
- Tea at road-side tea-stalls
- Sugarcane Juice
There are lodging facilities available in Paithan City and they serve cheap accommodation.
- New Durga Lodging