Palomino is a town with a special character. The town itself is mainly a collection of houses near the main road. Here is where you can find the shops, bakeries, drugstores and restaurants in town. The real beauty of Palomino are the beaches, river and mountain. It is also considered a site of high cultural value. Palomino is a strategic point to enjoy a unique landscape in Colombia and the world. While it might have been an unknown destination a few years ago, the masses have discovered Palomino and during Christmas/New year High season expect to have a lot of company and massive competition for accommodation.
In Palomino can enjoy a wide white beach, enjoying an average temperature of 28 °C and seeing the snow-capped peaks of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta. Meanwhile your stay in Palomino, you may encounter Indians and fishermen doing their daily work. You can find the indigenous groups down to Palomino for sale and purchase products. This also makes it an interesting destination for people who want to see the customs of the indigenous cultures of the Sierra Nevada.
You can arrive by public transport (bus, minibus and taxi) or private car. You should take the main highway of the Caribbean via Santa Marta - Riohacha. Palomino is located at kilometer 72.
Buses from Santa Marta Palomino worth between COP$7,000 and COP$10,000. The approximate travel time is 1 hour 45 minutes.
- See the snowy peaks of the mountains being on the beach enjoying tropical climate.
- Float Down the river Palomino
- Walk along the beach to Rio San Salvador, it's famous for the virginity and exotic wildlife.
- Surfing with the stunning scenery of the Sierra Nevada before your eyes.
- Ecological walk into the heart of the Sierra Nevada.
- Visit to indigenous communities as Seiviaka, Gumake, Kasakumake among others.
- Relax in a hammock overlooking the sea.
- Watch the sunrise from the snow peaks
- Horseback riding on the beach
There is no ATM in Palomino (Feb 2021). In Mingueo 20 km east there is a Bancolombia with ATM. A taxi from the main road costs COP$2000 per person or Mototaxi is COP$10,000 return.
The tourism infrastructure is being rapidly developed to meet the demands of the high season crowds, so you should be able to find plenty hostels offering cabanas, rooms and hammocks along the road to the beach. Hammocks are by far the cheapest option, and can be found for as little as COP$10,000 away from the beach with decent facilities, and COP$15,000 with the most basic facilities.
- 1 The Dreamer Hostel. Probably the nicest Backpacker hostel in town, reservations should be made in advance. A few meters from the beach, with a pool, pool table, Wi-fi (not free). Dorm COP$29,000, double COP$105,000.
- 2 Tiki Hut Hostal. Cabanas opposite the "Dreamer Hostal" in second row with a small but nice pool. Double from COP$120,000.
- 3 [formerly dead link] La Sirena Eco Hotel & Yoga. A little further along the beach the famous yoga hotel offers decent rooms. Double from COP$120,000, hammock COP$20,000.
Along the ocean road
- 4 Finca la Jorara. On the road between Santa Marta and Palomino. Double COP$120,000 per person with breakfast.