Parana Plateau is a region of Paraguay.
- 1 Ciudad del Este – An important border town, just across the river from the Iguaçu Falls in neighbouring Brazil.
- 2 Coronel Bogado – The home of Chipa. Head here to enjoy numerous varieties of this delicacy.
- 3 Encarnación – A laid-back beach town across Posada in Argentina. Not much to see, but great to take a break with bars and place at the water.
- 4 Hernandarias – The "Latin American Capital of Electric Power" is home to Itaipú Dam, which produced the second most energy of any in the world as of 2020.
- 5 Hohenau – An interesting German town.
- 6 Pirapó – A Japanese village and colony, also partly funded by the Japanese government.
- 7 Tirol (Col El Tirol / Colonia Tirol) – A colony of former Germans. The most interesting "exhibit" here though seems to be an elder guy that lives in a forest and place distinctly constructed by himself. Pay him a visit and find a local and quite alternative curiosity. Camping there might be possible, if you ask.
- 8 Trinidad – Home to the Jesuit ruins which is the only UNESCO World Heritage Site in Paraguay.
This region encompasses the forested highlands in Paraguay's east, along the Paraná River.
Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis
The Jesuit missions. ... near Encarnación are some of the most important and impressive in Paraguay. El Ruta Jesuita is just about the only nationally organised Paraguayan tourist activity, so reaching them is easy. The Jesuit ruins are in such shape that you can still imagine the splendour it once possessed. The ruins are a UNESCO World Heritage Site . Entrance: GS.25,000. The entrance ticket is valid for three days, and gets you in to all three ruins near Encarnación.
- 1 Ruinas Jesuíticas de la Santísima Trinidad del Paraná. Summer 07:00-19:00, winter 07:00-17:30. Also features a small museum. Any bus towards east from Encarnación: 10,000.
- 2 Ruinas Jesuíticas de Jesús de Tavarangué (10 km from Trinidad down the left hand road from the crossroads after the bus stop. You can rent a bike at the Ruinas Hotel in Trinidad, but do not bet on that, take a moto-taxi for GS.30,000—try to share, they can carry four people— or just take the 2 hr to hike there.). These ruins are well worth a visit and the 10 km to get there. Bring lunch and enjoy it in the old Plaza Mejor.
- 3 Ruinas Jesuíticas Guaraníes de San Cosme y San Damián.