Patiala is a city in Punjab, India. Patiala is a lively city known for its production of handcrafted goods. The juttis, traditional embroidered shoes for women and men alike, are exported all over the world to the Punjabi diaspora.
Patiala is a nice city, rich in cultural heritage. Its history dates back to the middle of the 18th century, when Baba Ala Singh established a princely state in the Malwa region of Punjab. In 1763 Ala Singh built the fort known as Qila Mubaraka which was his permanent seat until his death two years later. Under his successors, the kingdom expanded and the fort continued to be a residence of the royal family. During the Anglo-Sikh wars, the rulers of Patiala were an ally of the British. As a result of their "meritorious services", the British granted them the title of Maharajas. In the aftermath of the Indian Independence Act, Patiala's last ruler signed an accession to the Indian Union. The city is also called a CM City (CM means Chief Minister). Patiala was a part of PEPSU (PEPSU means Patiala and East Punjab States Union), and many govt of Punjab offices, and also head offices, are in Patiala rather than Punjab's capital Chandigarh. So, you can also say Patiala is a mini-capital of Punjab State.
As elsewhere in Punjab, November marks the disappearance of the monsoon. Sunny skies prevail till mid February. Daytime temperatures are comfortable. This is undoubtedly one of the best times to visit.
The nearest airport is Chandigarh from where you can either take bus or taxi. Taxi may charge around ₹800 to ₹1000. You have to bargain really hard to get the right price.
Although there is a 1 railway station. at Patiala, but the city is not very well connected by rail because it doesn't fall on the main line. Delhi Bathinda intercity is the best train for Patiala. However there is "Dadar Amritsar express" coming from Mumbai and a few intercity trains.
The nearest well connected Railway station is Ambala (UMB). There are many trains coming from all parts of India up to Ambala. From Ambala you can hire a taxi or come by bus. Distance is 60 km. The taxi driver may charge around ₹800 to ₹1000.
2 Bus stand, Sheran Wala Gate.
If you are coming from Delhi it is 260 km distance, and you can find direct buses from ISBT after every hour. There are also deluxe buses available, charging ₹240 per head. The bus journey from Delhi takes 6 hrs. You can also take a taxi, but charges will be really high, to the tune of ₹3500-4500.
There are regular buses from Chandigarh every hour direct to Patiala.
- 1 Baradari Gardens. The gardens were designed in 1876 by Kaur Sahib Ranbir Singh, the younger brother of the Maharaja. They surround colonial buildings and a marble statue of Maharaja Rajindera. Today, the Baradari Palace is a heritage hotel run by Neemrana Hotels group
- Gurudwara Dukhniwaran Sahib Ji.
- Ijlas-e Khas.
- Maiji Di Sarai.
- Mall Road.
- 2 Old Moti Bagh Palace. The Palace, built in the mid-19th century, was the seat of the Patiala royal family. With over 1,000 rooms it's one of the largest royal residences in the world. Today it houses the National Institute of Sports.
- Panj Bali Gurdwara.
- Qila Bahadurgarh.
- 3 Qila Mubarak complex. Qila Mubarak was the official residence of the Maharaja till 1862. The complex comprises 10 courtyards and several historic built structures. Notable buildings include Qila Androon, the main entrance with an imposing gate, Sheesh Mahal (palace of mirrors), Raan Baas with a whole set of frescoes and Durbar Hall. The latter houses a collection of arms.
- Rajindera Kothi.
- Rang Mahal and Sheesh Mahal.
- Shahi Samadhan.
- Temple Kali Mata Ji.
- 1 Dhillon's Fun-World, ☏ .
- 1 AC Market (Adalat bazar).
- Bitly Bros. Gift House. Local traditional gift items.
- Desi Jutti. Local traditional Indian shoes.
- 2 Omaxe Mall, Mall Road, Baradari, ☏ . 11AM – 9PM.
- Patiala salwar.
- Punjabi suits.
- Reshmi naale.
- Amritsari Naan, Near AC market parking.
- Dominos (near Gopal Sweets).
- 1 [dead link] Gopal Sweets, Phowara Chowk, ☏ . 9AM – 10PM. Located near Leela Bhawan, on the best locations in Patiala. The best budget restaurant in city. It is self-service.
- McDonald's. You can find McD in Omaxe Mall.
- 2 Mohan Continental. Provides excellent food, but the cost is sky high.
- 3 Sadhu Ram di Kachori, Books Bazaar. 8AM – 8:30PM. Oldest in the town. Fresh every day.
- Sahni's. Good budget food, serious competition to Gopal Sweets. Near 22 no, flyover.
- 4 Subway (near Gopal Sweets).
- 1 The Baradari Palace, Baradari Gardens, ☏ .
- 2 Green's Hotel, The Mall.
- 3 Hotel Eqbal Inn, S.S.T Nagar, Rajpura Road, ☏ .
- 4 Hotel Flyover Classic, Near Railway Station, ☏ .
- 5 Hotel Garden Resorts, Phatak, Rajbaha Road, Green View Colony, ☏ .
- 6 Hotel Grand Park, Bhupendar Road, Model Town, ☏ . closed?
- Hotel Narain Continental, Chotti Bharadari, ☏ .
- 7 Hotel Prince Palace, Bus Stand Road, ☏ .