Pendeen is an ex-mining town in Cornwall. It is a quaint village in a designated 'Area of Natural Outstanding Beauty' with lots of interesting features such as the stunning lighthouse, a lovely beach, bronze-age monuments such as 'Pendeen Fogou', the house in which the famous Cornish antiquarian William Borlase was born, Geevor Tin Mine museum complex, superb views from the 'carn' (hill), two great pubs (The Radjel and The North Inn) and a historical brass band.
Bus 10 comes from Penzance every half hour M-Sa, less frequently on evenings and Sundays. Every other bus goes via St Just in Penwith.
Free parking, then walk or simply drive to where you want to go.
- 1 Geevor Tin Mine, Pendeen, TR19 7EW, ☏ . Nov-Mar: daily 9AM-4PM; Apr-Oct: Su-F 9AM-5PM. Open every day except Saturday and tours start at 11AM, 1PM, 3PM. You can see an exhibition about mining and then go on a guided tour. The first part of the tour is through the processing facilities above ground. (How did they get the tin out of the stones?) The second part of the tour is through one of the early mining tunnels. £11/adult, £6.50/child 4 and over, free/child under 4, £6.50/student, senior/£9.50.
- 2 Levant, Trewellard, TR19 7SX, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. mine and beam engine (National Trust)
- 3 Pendeen Lighthouse.
- Walk along the south-west coast path.
- Walk to the prehistoric sites inland.
The North Inn and The Radjel do good food and proper real ale.
- 1 The Radjel, Boscaswell Terrace, Pendeen, TR19 7DS, ☏ . Bar: M-Sa 11AM-midnight, Su noon-midnight. 2 bars with food and accommodation.
- 2 North Inn, ☏ . Noon-2:30PM, 6:30PM-8:30PM.
The two pubs, the North Inn and The Radjel, both offer good food and real ale.
- Couple of B&Bs and Inns that have rooms
- [dead link] The Old Manse, +44 1736 787790. B&B
- North Inn, ☏ . B&B and a basic campsite. B&B £40, camping £5.
- St Ives to the North along the North Coast Road (B3306) - essentially a 15-mile (25-km) rally course, recommended to drive it at night as fast as you can. Wear seatbelts and keep an eye for oncoming traffic doing the same.
- St Just in Penwith to the South.
- Penzance to the East.