Penguin is a small village in northern Tasmania, situated between Burnie and Ulverstone. It was named after the little penguins that used to wander around its beaches. Many things there, including bins are shaped like penguins. Penguin is also the home of Penguin Market.
Penguin was first settled in the mid-1800s as a timber town. Towards the end of the 1850s, demand for palings for home building during the gold rush in Victoria saw large quantities of timber shipped from the Penguin district across the Bass Strait.
The discovery of copper and silver further contributed to settlement in the area. The town of Penguin was proclaimed in October 1875.
Penguin is 15 min by car (17 km) east of Burnie.
From Devonport and the "Spirit of Tasmania" ferry terminal, Penguin is a 30 min drive to the west.
The nearest airports are located in Devonport and Wynyard.
- Penguin Taxi Service (0417) 506 851
- 1 Big Penguin, Main Street.
- Penguin Roadside Gardens.
- Penguin Market. Sundays.
- Wild Cafe Restaurant (By the beach), ☎ .
- Pluny's Thai Restaurant, 9 Arnold Street, ☎ .
- 1 Neptune Grand Hotel, 84 Main Road, ☎ .
- 2 Penguin Holiday Apartments, 99-101 Main Road, ☎ .
- The Madsen, 64 Main Road, ☎ .