Perumbavoor is a city in Kerala.
Perumbavoor is a magnet for expatriate north Indian workers in Kerala. Several thousands of Bengalis, Biharis and Assamese live in this tiny city.
Autorikshaws charge ₹20 per kilometre and buses are available @ ₹7.00 for 3 km.
- Panieli Poru Waterfalls near Perumbavoor.
- Bethel Salone Jacobites Syrian Church
- Kodanad Elephant breeding Centre near Perumbavoor. Kodanad is set on the southern banks of the Periyar river near Perumbavoor and is one of the largest elephant training, and rescue centers of Kerala. Earlier elephants captured from the Malayatoor forests (the forests in the east and north of Kodanad) were trained here. In 1977 the elephant capturing came to an end, but the elephant-training center are still in function. Kodanad is now primarily used as a rescue training center, and houses baby elephants at their infancy and various stages of their growth. Four to six baby elephants are brought in and trained every year. Kodanad is the headquarters of Malayatoor forest division. Kodanad is accessible by direct bus services or by taxi from Aluva.
- Kochi to Kodanad around 50 km
- Alwaye to Kodanad around 28 km
- Perumbavoor to Kodanad around 11 km
- Travelling from Angamaly to Kodanad is also fairly easy and it passes close to Malayatoor where there is a famous church.
- Bhai Bazar, Puthen Kurishu Road (1 km). Popular hangout of north Indian laborers. Very cheap for mobile telephones and accessories. Clothes and trinkets of the cheapest variety are available here.
Perumbavoor is the ideal place for enjoying various kinds of north Indian street food. Hygiene is a serious issue. The prices are dirt cheap.
- Apsara Restaurant, Perumbavoor. Famous for their legendary mutton biriyani. Locals say they don't use any refrigeration and everything is given fresh. ₹200.
- Cooperative College Building, near Kalachandha. This old college is converted into a hostel where sleeping space is rented @ ₹10 per night. The customers are north Indian workers. Several other places are also available @ ₹500 per month.