North America > United States of America > Southwest (United States of America) > Arizona > South Central Arizona > PicachoJump to navigation Jump to search
Picacho is a small town in South Central Arizona. The community name derives from Spanish for "peak."
- 1 Picacho Peak State Park, I-10 Exit 219, Eloy, ☏ . 5AM-10PM mid-September to late May. Directly along I-10 between Tucson and Casa Grande, this eroded volcanic outcropping is impossible to miss. The peak affords excellent views, and can be accessed via two difficult via ferrata routes, or by a strenuous hike. From mid-March until early April it is particularly photogenic with spring wildflowers following a good winter rainy season. In early March there is an annual Civil War re-enactment commemorating the Battle of Picacho Peak, one of several Civil War engagements in what was then Confederate Arizona Territory.
- 2 Rooster Cogburn Ostrich Ranch, 17599 E Peak Ln (I-10 north of Tucson, #219, take the frontage road SE), ☏ . The ostrich will eat right out of your hand if you are brave enough, or there are feed chutes for the more conservative feeders. The deer are sweet and gently eat from your hand. The Rainbow Lorikeet Forest is a new attraction with small parrots that land on you and eat nectar out of your cup. There is also shopping for ostrich products. $5.
- 1 Encore Drive-In, 310 W Frontier St, Eloy, ☏ . A fun drive-through Mexican restaurant in nearby Eloy.
- 1 Picacho / Tucson KOA, 18428 S Picacho Hwy, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open Sep-Apr. Spots for tents and RVs, cabins available. Hookups and water at some sites, showers and pool on the grounds. Wi-fi, pets accepted.
- 2 Picacho Peak State Park, I-10 Exit 219, ☏ . Between Tucson and Casa Grande (see listing above). Electric hookups and water at each site, suitable for RVs and tents. Modern bathroom facilities and toilets are on the grounds, and wifi is available for an extra fee. $25/night.
|Routes through Picacho|
|Phoenix ← Eloy ←||W E||→ Tucson → Las Cruces|
|Chandler ← Coolidge ←||N S||→ Ends at|