Pienza, formerly the village of Corsignano, was renamed and redesigned as a completely planned Gothic town, in honor of and at the command of the most famous of all its inhabitants in history, Pope Pius II (1405-1464; reigned as Pope starting in 1458). Its Centro Storico is a UNESCO World Heritage site. UNESCO's listing for Pienza can be seen at this link.
Buses run from Montepulciano (8 per day, 30 minutes), Montalcino (10 per day, change to line #114 in Torrenieri, lengthy changing time) and Siena (SITA runs several, though the number varies by season, 1 hour 15 minutes travel time; however, the latest bus returning from Pienza always leaves at 14:44).
Walk. There's no need for public transit in this compact town.
- Piazza Pio II A grand & elegant square, surrounded by the city hall, with its bell tower, & the Piccolomini family palace
- Duomo It dominates the Piazza, with a fine interior & beautiful windows
- Palazzo Piccolomini, ☏ . Once home of Pius II & the Piccolomini family, it can be visited with a 30 minute guided tour. €3.50, open Tu-Su 10:00-12:30 & 15:00-18:00, closed Monday & in the winter.
- The Diocesan Museum is filled with church paintings from the 12th to 17th centuries, €4.10, open W-M 10:00-13:00 & 15:00-19:00, closed Tuesday, open only on weekends in winter, on Corso il Rossellino.
- View Terrace To the left of the church is a lane leading to a panorama of the countryside.
- Tourist Information, fax: . The office is just up the street from Piazza Pio II, open M-Sa 10:00-13:00 & 15:00-19:00, closed Sunday, you can leave your bags here.
- Market Day is Friday
- Latte di Luna. It has indoor & outdoor seating.
- La Taverna di Re Artu, Via della Rosa. Daily 10:30-20:30. It serves bruschetta and a wide variety of wine.
- Ristorante dal Falco is a modern place with outdoor & indoor seating, €6 pastas, open Saturday to Thursday 12:00-15:00 & 19:00-22:00, closed Friday, on Piazza Dante Alighieri. Telephone: 0578-749-856, open Wednesday to Monday 12:30-14:30 & 19:30-21:30, closed Tuesday, at Porta al Giglio on Via San Carlo. Telephone: 0578-748-606
- Agriturismo Le Macchie, Monticchiello di Pienza, ☏ . Farmhouse.
- Agriturismo Terrapille, on route #18 towards Monticchiello, ☏ , (Mobile). It's right below Pienza on a bluff, 4 rooms & 2 apartments, pool. Double w/bathroom €95, Quadruple w/bathroom €160, breakfast €7.50, dinner on request for €25.
- Oliviera Camere, Via Condotti, ☏ , (Mobile). Six simple rooms, breakfast in room, cash only, owner doesn't speak English. Double w/bathroom €50.
- Il Giardino Segreto Camere, Via Condotti, ☏ , (Mobile). Six rooms with a lovely, quiet garden, Double w/bathroom €62, apartment €67.