Pienza, formerly the village of Corsignano, was renamed and redesigned as a completely planned Gothic town, in honor of and at the command of the most famous of all its inhabitants in history, Pope Pius II (1405-1464; reigned as Pope starting in 1458). Its Centro Storico is a UNESCO World Heritage site. UNESCO's listing for Pienza can be seen at this link.
Buses run from Montepulciano (8/day 30 minutes), Montalcino (10/day change to line #114 in Torrenieri, lengthy changing time) and Siena (SITA runs several, though the exact number varies by season, 1 hour 15 minutes travel time; however, the latest bus returning from Pienza always leaves at 14:44).
Walk. There's no need for public transit in this compact town.
- Piazza Pio II A grand & elegant square, surrounded by the city hall, with its bell tower, & the Piccolomini family palace
- Duomo It dominates the Piazza, with a fine interior & beautiful windows
- Palazzo Piccolomini, ☎ . Once home of Pius II & the Piccolomini family, it can be visited with a 30 minute guided tour. €3.50, open tuesday to sunday 10:00-12:30 & 3:00-6:00, closed Monday & in the winter.
- The Diocesan Museum is filled with church paintings from the 12th to 17th centuries, €4.10, open Wednesday to Monday 10:00-1:00 & 3:00-7:00. closed Tuesday, open only on weekends in winter, on Corso il Rossellino
- View Terrace To the left of the church is a lane leading to a panorama of the countryside
- Tourist Information, fax: . The office is just up the street from Piazza Pio II, open Monday to Saturday 10:00-1:00 & 3:00-7:00, closed Sunday, you can leave your bags here. Telephone &
- Market Day is Friday
- Latte di Luna. has indoor & outdoor seating
- La Taverna di Re Artu, Via della Rosa. open daily 10:30-8:30. serves bruschetta & a wide variety of wine
- Ristorante dal Falco is a modern place with outdoor & indoor seating, €6 pastas, open Saturday to Thursday 12:00-3:00 & 7:00-10:00, closed Friday, on Piazza Dante Alighieri. Telephone: 0578-749-856, open Wednesday to Monday 12:30-2:30 & 7:30-9:30, closed Tuesday, at Porta al Giglio on Via San Carlo. Telephone: 0578-748-606
- Agriturismo Le Macchie, Monticchiello di Pienza, ☎ . Farmhouse.
- Agriturismo Terrapille It's right below Pienza on a bluff, 4 rooms & 2 apartments, pool, on route #18 towards Monticchiello. Double w/bathroom €95, Quadruple w/bathroom €160, breakfast €7.50, dinner on request for €25. Telephone: 0578-748-434 Mobile: 338-920-4470
- Oliviera Camere Six simple rooms, breakfast in room, cash only, owner doesn't speak English. Double w/bathroom €50, on Via Condotti. Telephone: 0578-748-205 Mobile: 338-952-0459
- Il Giardino Segreto Camere Six rooms with a lovely, quiet garden, Double w/bathroom €62, apartment €67, on Via Condotti. Telephone: 0578-748-539 Mobile: 338-899-5879