Pirkanmaa is a province in the Finnish Lakeland.
- 1 Akaa
- 2 Ikaalinen
- 3 Mänttä-Vilppula
- 4 Nokia
- 5 Orivesi
- 6 Parkano
- 7 Sastamala
- 8 Tampere
- 9 Valkeakoski
- 10 Virrat
- 11 Ylöjärvi
- 1 Hämeenkyrö
- 2 Juupajoki
- 3 Kangasala
- 4 Kihniö
- 5 Kuhmoinen (joined the province in 2021)
- 6 Lempäälä
- 7 Pirkkala
- 8 Punkalaidun
- 9 Pälkäne
- 10 Ruovesi
- 11 Urjala
- 12 Vesilahti
Lempäälä - 20km from Tampere lies Finland's biggest shopping centre, Ideapark. - Lempäälä has golf range "Hiisigolf" and hotel restaurant vaihmalan hovi. - Visitors can use Mäyriä sauna in Lempäälä, for 2€/adult. Sauna is open every tuesday and thursday 16 - 20 in the summer. see www.lempaala.fi for more info.
Pirkanmaa is the center of industrial Finland. There is a metal industry and a forest industry in the area. Tampere region is transforming from industrial hub to a knowledge-based economy.
Tampere airport is Ryanair's destination in Finland so there are a couple of direct flights to odd airports in Europe, in addition to some flights to Scandinavian destinations.
Tampere is well connected to the southern, western and northern parts of the country and roughly hourly buses and trains to Helsinki and Turku. To get in from eastern Finland you will in most cases need to transfer in Jyväskylä (train, bus) or Lahti (bus).
Trains of national operator VR are possible to use for travelling inside province.
Matkahuolto has a dense bus network covering most of the province.
Onnibus offers discount bus service by few routes.
Google Maps includes timetables of trains, long distance buses and local transport of many cities and towns. Other useful route planners are Matka.fi for trains and local buses and Matkahuolto Reittiopas for regional buses.
- iTaksi, ☏ (high cost?), ✉ email@example.com. Smart phone app offers address based routing and calculates price according to them. €4.00/6.00+€0.90/km+€0.85/min.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi, Menevä
- Enjoy the view from the ridges near Kangasala.
- The 19th century industrial buildings of Tampere, "Finland's Manchester".
- The Spy museum, Lenin museum and other special museums in Tampere.
- Go on a spa holiday in Ikaalinen or Nokia.
- Watch a local ice hockey derby in Tampere.
- Hike in the "Lake of Hell" - Helvetinjärvi National Park in Ruovesi.
- Taste the infamous blood sausage "mustamakkara" in Tampere.
- Go on a shopping spree in IdeaPark in Lempäälä.
- Kirjazz & Blues: 6–7 July 2018 Valkeakoski. A jazz & blues festival in Kirjaslampi, Valkeakoski. (date needs updating)
- Aitoon Kirkastusjuhlat: 7–9 July 2018 Pälkäne. Music festival in for the whole family in Aitoo, Pälkäne (date needs updating)
- [dead link] Työväen musiikkitapahtuma: 26–29 July 2018 Valkeakoski. The Workers' Music Festival in Valkeakoski is yearly gathering of the left-leaning folk (date needs updating)
- [formerly dead link] Hämyvestarit: 3–4 August 2018 Hämeenkyrö. Hämyvestarit is arranged in the Hämeenkyrö ice hall grounds. (date needs updating)
- Gösta Jazz: 13 August 2018. Jazz happening in the Serlachius Museum's park in Mänttä-Vilppula. (date needs updating)
Pirkanmaa is a safe place.