The town is famous for its most important export product to the rest of Chile, Pisco. Pisco is a fruit schnaps made of crapes matured in wooden barrels, giving it a Whisky-like taste while maintaining the fruit scent.
Pisco is often consumed with Coke and ice, or with lemon as Pisco Sour, even though the local family factories do not support the mixture of Pisco for the purpose of consumption.
Buses go at least every hour from the provincial bus station northwest of the Japanese Garden or less frequently from the Terminal de Buses in La Serena, passing by Vicuña on the way, about 2.5 hr ride, CLP$3,000. More frequent departures on Sundays and during holidays.
The last colectivos back to La Serena are at around 20:30 from Pisco Elqui and 21:00 from Vicuña. Furthermore, there are also at least two Turbus buses from Vicuña after that, the last one at 22:45, but please re-check.
Everything can be reach on foot.
- You can hike some of the hills surrounding the village. Inquire at the tourist information in town.
- Distillerie Pisco Artisanal - Doña Joséfa (just 1 km out of town), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. They offer free tours at their distillery in the production of Picso. They are happy if you buy something there, but it is not a must. Bottles: 0.05l CLP$2,000, 0.7l 40% CLP$7,000, 0.7l 45% CLP$8,000.
- Turismo Migrantes is a certificated tour operator, offering different kinds of outdoor activities (like observatory) in the Elqui Valley. Besides, you can join trips to the mountain range of the Andes.
- Grab yourself a bottle of Pisco, some ice and go ahead. The park in centre of town has a beautiful lawn and church in front of it. Enjoy the view and sun.
There are some camping places, hostels and regular hotels in town and the surrounding area. It should not be hard to find something fitting.
Check out the ones that are further from other settlements, so you can enjoy the sky at night.
- 1 Cosmo Elqui Valley, Ruta 41 (located at the corner where the bus takes the turn towards Pisco Elqui from the Vicuña road), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out this interesting and stylish hostel with pool and off the other settlements right in the valley. Though, it is quite a little far from Pisco Elqui, but the town does not necessarily require staying in it over night. Note, it seems they also have a hostel in La Serena running, make sure to book the right one. FB. Dorm from €15.
- Hike into the Santuario de La Naturaleza Estero Derecho National Park and further.