Platamonas is a small town with a population of about 2,000 permanent inhabitants. Platamonas is located in eastern Olympus riviera, an area with many destinations for tourists such as Litochoro, Katerini, Leptokaria, Neoi Poroi. It is part of the Municipal unit of East Olympos of the Dio-Olympos municipality. Platamonas is near two cities. It is 38 km south of Katerini and 49 km northeast of Larissa. The town is easily accessible by train and bus with many routes every day. Platamonas is one of the most famous summer destinations in the area with many hotels, taverns, restaurants and beach bars. The tourists mainly come from nearby cities and towns or from other countries, mainly from Eastern Europe.
Platamonas can be accessed by train or bus. The train station is located in a nearby town, Neοi Porοi, which is accessible even on foot from Platamonas. The nearest airport is International Airport Makedonia in Thessaloniki. Thessaloniki is 104km north of Platamonas, (about 1 hour by train - 1 hour and 10 minutes by bus). The price of train ticket is € 12 from Thessaloniki, € 4 from Larissa (thirty minutes).
Platamonas is a small town. You can get around on foot. You can even go on foot to Neoi Poroi however you can move by car, motorbike or bike to save time.
- Platamon Castle. 9-15. The 10th century medieval Castle of Platamon, is the landmark of the town. Visit the Castle and see the spectacular view. 2 €.
- Akti Platamona. Akti Platamona is one of the longest beaches in Greece. Most of the beach is sandy with many sea games available and lifeguards. Near the beach there are lots of beach bars, cafeterias, and taverns.
- Take a trip to the town of Dion (29km north). Near this town there are the ruins of a whole ancient Macedonian town, ancient Dion, an important archaeological site. You can also visit the museun of Dion with many ancient findings from that area.
- You can go by train or bus to nearby towns such as Leptokaria (about 10 minutes by train), Litochoro (about 15 minutes by train), with nice beaches, many cafe bars, beach bars and taverns. The latter is a popular starting point for activities such as climbing and mountaineering. Litochoro is the basis of the Greek Mountaineering Club and member of the Greek Federation of Mountaineering and Climbing. You can go climbing or/and mountaineering in mount Olympos (2,917m) the highest mountain in Greece and the house of ancient Greek gods.
In Platamonas you will find typical Greek food such as gyros and souvlaki which are the cheapest choice. Taverns serve Greek cuisine plates and fresh fish from the Aegean. You can also eat pizza, crepes and pasta. Prices vary and depend on the tavern/restaurant and the plate you will choose.
- To Limanaki (Το Λιμανάκι), Port, ☎ . Greek cuisine, fish
- Psaropoula (Ψαροπούλα), ☎ . Greek cuisine, fish
- Hasta Luego, Konstantinou Karamanli 89, (Κωνσταντίνου Καραμανλή 89), ☎ . Mexican cuisine, pizza
- Αλισάχνη (Alisachni), Platamon beach, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Traditional Greek food
- Stavento, ☎ . Beautiful Cafe Bar by the sea
- Jam, Konstantinou Karamanli 74 (Κωνσταντίνου Καραμανλή 74), ☎ . Cafe Bar
- Mythos (Μύθος), Konstantinou Karamanli (Κωνσταντίνου Καραμανλή), ☎ . Cafe Bar by the sea
- Artemis Hotel (Άρτεμις), ☎ . An economic 2 star hotel on the National Road. A few minutes away from the center of Platamon by car.
- Hotel Lego, ☎ . An economic 2 star hotel near the center of Platamon.
- Vaya Apartments & Studios, Kolokotroni 4th cross street, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. Suitable for couples and larger groups.
- Sun Beach Hotel Platamon, Akti Platamona, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 84 rooms & 4 suites. A nice hotel on the sandy beach. Afew minutes away from the center of Platamon on foot.
- Dias Hotel (Δίας), Konstantinou Karamanli 91(Κωνσταντίνου Καραμανλή 91), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 30 rooms. A nice hotel and restaurant in the center of the town.
- Hotel Kronos (Κρόνος), Konstantinou Karamanli 12(Κωνσταντίνου Καραμανλή 12), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. 47 rooms & 2 suites. A nice hotel and restaurant in the center of Platamon. 40€ - 160€.
- Hotel Zefyros (Ζέφυρος), Konstantinou Karamanli 57(Κωνσταντίνου Καραμανλή 57), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 9 rooms. A hotel and restaurant in the center of Platamon.
- Hotel Kymata (Κύματα), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. A hotel and restaurant by the sea. A few minutes away from the center of Platamon by car (2km).
- Platamon Palace Hotel, Akti Platamona, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 232 rooms. A luxurious 5 star hotel on the sandy beach with a popular beach bar. A few minutes away from the center of Platamon on foot. 98€ - 475€.
- Hotel Royal Palace, Konstantinou Karamanli 51(Κωνσταντίνου Καραμανλή 51), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. 12 rooms & 2 suites. A five star hotel (resort & spa) in the center of Platamon.
Platamon is a generally a safe place. In some rare cases there are reports of people who where stung by weevers after stepping on them, while walking in the sea.
Move on to Thessaloniki (104 km north) and Chalkidiki or move on to Volos (107 km southeast) from where you can go by boat to Skopelos and Skiathos, the latter being one of the most popular tourist destinations in Greece.