Platanidia, Ano Lechonia, Kato Lechonia, Agios Minas are in Northwest Pelion. Since these villages are close to each other, they are considered as a single travel destination
Platanidia is small, quiet and peaceful beachfront area with a couple of tavernas, a small grocer shop, homes and some accomodation. Having bus number 5 from Volos come right down to the beach here makes this a feasible location to economically base oneself not only for visits to Volos and Agria but also for a trip onto Ano Lechonia's Pelion Train.
A zone 5 bus (Agria, Lechonia, Platanidia - Αγριά, Λεχώνια, Πλατανίδια) will get you to Ano Lechonia and then onto Platanidis (~1km from Ano Lechonia).
A zone 5 bus ticket will cost you 1.50€. (May 2022)
A taxi from nearby Ana Lechonia will cost you 5€.
- 17th Century Pelion Tower, Ano Lechonia. It used to be the Russian consulate during 17th Century, for this wider area of the Ottoman Empire.
- Swim at the beach.
- Fish from the shore.
- The Little Train of Pelion (Moutzouris), Ano Lechonia, ☏ . Take a train journey to Milies and back on rails laid in the late 1800s. The views are spectacular and then wooden carriages with openable windows comfortable for the short journey.As of May 2022 the train operates in weekends only, departing Ano Lechonia at 1000 and returnung from Milies at 1500.Ticket prices are:Adult one way, 10€. 18€ return,Children one way 6€, 10€ return (4 to 12 year).Buy tickets at a TrainOSE office (there's one in Volos), one way tickets at the station in the day of departure or online at trainose,gr
- 1 Express Market, Kato Lechonia, ☏ . Small Super Market
- 1 Kostas Tavern (Ταβέρνα Κώστας), Malaki, ☏ .
- 2 O Takis (Ο Τάκης), Kato Lechonia, ☏ . Pizza, Souvlaki, home delivery.
- 1 Karnagio (On Kato Lechonia, turn south, there is a sign).
- Sonia Studios. content=Family-run accommodation in a two-storey guesthouse behind the main home. Directly cross the road from the water and a little beach. Clean, tidy and comfortable rooms with heating and aircon. The owner is really friendly but doesn't speak English: do your best with Greek and she'll do her best with English (or get a relative to help) and you'll get by. 40€ per night for a well sized double room with en suite, kitchenette and balcony.