Platres is a village in Limassol district. Perched high up (at an altitude of 1200 metres) on the Troodos Mountains, it is a refuge from the sweltering heat that dominates summer period on the lower parts of the island. In the winter bring thick clothing, plus a couple of skis. Trekking gear is a must.
By car or powerful motorbike. Taxi would cost a fortune from any of the cities. Rural bus services do exist (from Nicosia and Limassol) but service although cheap, is often unreliable. Ask at the regional tourist office for more information.
On foot within and around the village, but you need a car for anywhere else. A 4x4 helps.
The pine forests, the unobstructed views.
Hiking through the Troodos Mountains or vegetate by a pool in the summer. Ski in the winter, (providing there is snow).
Kids can be kept occupied on the numerous arcade parlors dotting the centre of the village.
Homemade preserves and local artisanship mostly.
Most eateries line the centre of the Pano Platres square. The local tavernas are on par with your average everywhere else on the island. They are excellent value for money. Unless you are desperate don’t even bother trying out any international cuisine restaurants as you will be disappointed. With the exception of course of the Forest Park Hotel, see below.
Farmed trout fish is the local specialty. Kebabs and meze are just as common (and palatable) as everywhere else on the island. Lokoumades and shamishi, are popular (but calorie ridden) deserts. If you are on a diet, chose from a healthy selection of fresh local fruit especially during the summer months.
Zivania (potent local version of grappa). At your peril.
- 1 [dead link] Forest Park Hotel, 62 Spyrou Kyrianou Street, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Platres 4820, Limassol district., The local jewel in the crown. A 4 star hotel built in 1933 and revamped in 1995. Strangled by its own thick pine forest, you would be forgiven if for a minute you thought you were somewhere in the Swiss Alps. Apart from the expected amenities, the Forest Park Hotel offers conferencing and Banqueting facilities.
- Pendeli Hotel, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. P.O. Box 59045, 4825 Platres. A family run 3 star hotel. Has its own pool and basic conferencing facilities.
- 2 Semiramis Hotel, 55 Spyrou Kyprianou, 4820 Pano Platres, ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com. Small family run hotel, over 100 years old. Only 10 rooms.
- 3 New Helvetia Hotel, 6, Helvetia Street , 4820 Platres, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A 3 star family-owned hotel, operating since 1929. WiFi access throughout. Renovated in 2005.
- 4 Edelweiss Hotel, 53, Kalidonia Str. 4820, Platres., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Two star hotel, opened in 1976. Has 22 rooms all with balcony and satellite TV.
- 5 Spring Hotel, Psilo Dentro, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Cozy family run hotel, established in the 1950s and completely renovated summer 2009.
- Visit mount Olympus
- Trek up the Caledonian Falls, and numerous other free and well laid out nature trails.