North America > Mexico > Pacific Coast (Mexico) > Guerrero > Troncones
Hammocks and palm trees are in most yards, chickens roam the streets and loud nightlife is limited to very few weekly events, making for quiet nights. Some local hotels and restaurants offer special events such as Movie Nights and Dance Parties, mostly during the Oct-May high season.
By car, Troncones is about 25 minutes from Zihuatanejo. Negotiate with a taxi before you get in, but a taxi will usually charge about US$30 from the airport. Alternatively, there are frequent small white "combie" buses that head north on the highway from Zihuatanejo. If you board one of these, ask the driver to drop you off at the turn off to Troncones, and then take a colectivo to the township. This is a much cheaper option.
Most things are within walking distance in Troncones, but 'colectivos' run up and down the beach from Troncones to Majahua, and from Troncones to the highway for M$5 per passenger.
Enjoy all kinds of activities on the town's 5-km (3-mile) stretch of nearly empty beach. Spend the day splashing around, boogie boarding and/or body surfing. Take long walks, runs, or horseback rides on the playa. Or just relax in the hammock, read, and recharge your batteries.
Snorkeling directly off Troncones Point is some of the best in the area. A public access to this area is located directly in front of Troncones Point Surf Club and Hostel (see "Sleep" below). You can learn to surf on Troncones beach and/or tackle one of the many nearby surf breaks, including Saladida, a.k.a. “The Wave Machine” (a great spot for beginners and long boarders). Local ecotour companies provide additional entertainment and exercise. Surfboards, stand up paddle boards, bikes and ATVs can all be rented in town. For the more contemplative, Troncones offers daily yoga, meditation, and chi gong classes—all with a stunning ocean view.
The major surfing area is called Troncones Point, a steady left break, where Troncones Beach meets Manzanillo Bay just to the north. Waves tend to be smaller in the winter, as the Point needs a southern swell to break well, and it is recommended for confident surfers because it is a rock bottom with some coral. Many hotels offer surfing classes. There is only one surf shop, but several of the hotels have basic equipment for ding repair, waxing, fin replacement, and other emergencies. There is also a professional surfboard shaper in town who offers repair services. There are many breaks and few surfers, especially in the low season of June - October when the swell is from the south and the breaks at Troncones Point and El Rancho can hit 25 feet (7.6 m). Breaks in Troncones tend to be gentler in the "shoulder seasons" of spring and fall, and some spots are better suited to long boarders. Near the beach are two sea caves called Troncones and Majahua as well as a waterfall called Cascadas Artesianas. Sportsfishing trips to the open ocean are available as well.
- Present Moment Retreat (head north at the T, PMR is 500 meters on the beach side of the road). Daily 08:00-22:00. Gorgeous setting, amazing food. Using an extraordinary combination of local ingredients and creative curiosity PMR offers some of the most complex, tantalizing, memorable and expensive cuisine on the coast. Also has a full bar, and Juanito Zihua's Salsa Trio plays every Saturday night from 20:00-22:00.
- Cenaduria Rufi's (one street south from the basketball court, you may need to ask somebody). This humble restaurant is mostly visited by locals, but offers tasty local dishes at a really good price. Brush up on your Spanish before you go, as there are no menus and the waitress will quickly tell you what they are offering that night. Don't miss this place if you are after a unique Mexican experience.
- Café del Sol. Affordable breakfasts & deli sandwiches. Evening bar and grill setting with fresh seafood, etc. Wood fired pizza in high season.
- Roberto's Bistro. (Steakhouse)
- La Mexicana, across from Casa La Sirena, on jungle side of beach road. Great local Mexican food in a nice ambiance. Watch for posole night!
- Martha's Restaurant
- Antonio's Bar & Grill
- Tronco Bay Inn
- Casa De Oro, House Of Gold, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Sleeps 8-10 people. Private villa estate at the end of Troncones Beach.
- Quinta D'Liz. Small double bungalows on the beach. US$50/night.
- Al Lado del Mar Vacation Home (email@example.com). An architectural gem, right on the sea, suitable for couples. Palapa construction, modern conveniences.
- Casa Majahua, ☏ . Eco-friendly beach villa with infinity pool and swim-up bar.
- 1 Troncones Point Hostel, Troncones Point (3 km north of the Troncones T follow the blue Surf Hostel signs), ☏ . Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 14:00. Relaxed, natural atmosphere, state-of-the-art amenities and full-service comfort. Tropical landscaping and amazing vistas. Completely private, with enclosed grounds and natural energy features that support the environment. Uses a grey water system and the latest technology in composting toilets. 30 m from the beach. The club houses one full apartment, Casa Cielo, with a complete, fully equipped kitchen, private bath, and a separate patio. Casa de la Tierra offers a group style living in bunk beds for the budget traveler. Daily maid service. Casa Colibri (House of the Hummingbird) is so named for the amazing diversity of hummingbirds darting around the Palapa. Casa Colibri also offers great views of the point, the Sierra Madre del Sur sunsets and mountains, and serves cold food and beverages to guests. The kitchen is available for use by guests who choose to stay in groups. The club also offers snorkel rentals and cheap surf trips to many nearby spots. M$1052.
- 2 Casa Oasis Troncones vacation rental, 1 mile north of bridge, on beach side (Turn right at the T in downtown Troncones), firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00. Breezy beachfront hideaway with panoramic ocean views. Spacious 1 bedroom flat sleeps 3-5. Full kitchen, dining living room—all with views. Great swimming beach in front and advanced surf break nearby. The property is right on the beach and has a plunge pool, barbecue, and practically private sandy beach. Treehouse garden loft 2-bedroom apartment with crow's nest master bedroom: US$110 a night during low season; summer: US$149/night, double occupancy. Weekly rates also available.
Dos Palmas - 2-bedroom house with beautiful pool. Weekly rates from US$1900 to $2500. www.dospalmastroncones.com
- 3 Casa Manzanillo B&B (hotel in troncones), Av. de la playa s/n, camino a la Majahua Playa Manzanillo, 40804 De la Union, Gro, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00. A Bed & Breakfast on the beach.
Always watch for riptides as they can get strong sometimes. Small children should not be in the water without supervision as it is open Pacific coast and large waves may come even on a very calm day.